Over 1,100 miles and 54 hours, better than when new, another review(more pics)

This 2017 Beta 500 RR-S is getting better and better.  Mostly because ever since I had picked it up on 02/22/2017, I have gotten to be come one with the bike.  

I am loving the 140-80 Pirelli Scorpion Pro DOT rear tire.  It hooks up like I remember the old iron Pirelli I used to use until I had sold my last bike in 2009.  I have a 21" front ready to lever on once the OEM Michelin slips too much for me to take but as we all know, I've gone at least 2 rears before 1 front so I have some time to go.  

I had also replaced the OEM throttle tube with a G2 Aluminum tube but NOT a throttle tamer.  I also had to replace the OEM ($40 they want for a set of) Beta grips with a set of $12 Pillowtop grips and the throttle tube is really nice as it has a nylon bushing that it rides on so it is smoother than the plastic on metal that came stock.  

Oh yeah, some tuff-lite LED's for the rear signals and the best part, the MotoMinded, Baja Designs Squadron Pro headlight.  Turn the night into day.  Worth all of the $300 for the plug and play kit.  The white housing also looks great in the white headlight shell.  

There isn't much else I've gotten for the bike but I don't run with either the stock handguards or wind guards/deflectors, or the mirrors.  As I only ride on the road for a 12 mile roundtrip on city streets that are, at the most, 35 mph and not more than two way traffic, the need for mirrors is about nil.  

Today's ride was heavenly.  Thankfully the legal riding area in NH is only about 50 miles from my house, door to door and when I got there the trails bureau had just finished both grading-yes, grading the main trails that the grader can make it on, but they also rolled the trail to pack it down=wow!  I have never seen a trail groomed like a snowmobile trail before so today was my lucky day.  All day long I kept thinking about how much I despise "technical" terrain or just plain rocky and rooted trails.  The good thing about riding alone is that I can keep going back and forth on all the nice, smooth trails and even the dirt roads as I'm street-legal, and not have to venture into the gawdawful slow, rocky trails.  For those that like them, good.  

The Beta 500 RR-S is a revelation.  It just does everything from the "technical"-(which is really just a fancy word in the same way that escargot is to snail or calamari is to squid since technical to me is awful trail, rocky and might as well stop and walk=not much fun, like comparing mountain biking to dirt bike riding), slow going in 1st or 2nd gear, then the 30-60 mph, wide-open dirt roads or the in-between trail where one has to keep shifting depending on the trail.  The 478cc motor is just nuts.  When I read from those that write that the bike does not have enough power, I have to simply doubt them as on any trail where one can truly open a bike up, for however a brief amount of time, at the top of either 3rd (since WOT in either 1st or 2nd, and mostly even 3rd is a waste of time with 13/48 gearing as all the rear will do is spin) but from 30 mph on up, wicking the throttle in 3rd, 4th-6th, the bike is hauling and I'm pretty sure that every 450 cc+ is the same way nowadays, the power is just insane with the new motors in superb chassis'.  

I only had the bike up to 65 mph today, on the same stretch of road I had it up to 82 mph and on the way up the highway in my truck, at 82 mph, I thought, this is a crazy speed to be doing on a dirt road and at 65 mph today, that was enough.  Even at high speeds, as has been written many times before, the Beta stays rock-steady.  I've never run with a steering dampener and still won't as at least up here in New England, we don't have the chances to ride like you guys do in the states with the bigger, wide-open riding areas (I'm jealous).  I'm still running on stock suspension with both ends wound fully soft and with full dampening and as I've gotten used to it, other than a fork oil change, I'm happy with it.  One of these days, maybe over the winter, I'll take out the rear shock and have the oil changed and if there is nitrogen in it, have it charged.  I don't even know what is in it or if it is even charged. 

P1120830.JPG

P1120829.JPG

P1120822.JPG

P1120824.JPG

P1120825.JPG

Let me also leave you with one last thing.  The 2016 RS graphics on white plastics is the best looking Beta, bar none.  

I will also add, if we all have the same chassis, with some having a MUCH better chassis as they have upgraded their suspensions, we have some awesome machines as all we have are some power differences.  I will say, though, that for now, I would not have been happy with anything but the 478cc motor as I'm loving the power.  The brakes are also excellent, for the woods, riding around in circles through the forests, the RR-S is the tops.  Then, when I hose the bike down and rinse it with some diluted simple green, it rides like I never took it off-pavement when I take it to work.  Thank you Beta, for making one awesome machine.   

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 3

Agreed on the chassis...my 300 race edition has the stability of my yz and the turning ability of my old Ktm, without either bike's negative qualities. The handling is very neutral and easy to ride. I've had the forks revalved and upgraded to a Fox podium...pretty versatile package, I can hit my hard-enduro trails and then go do some moto with only some clicker adjustments.

As far as technical, I guess we all have different ideas about what is fun. I have a bunch of trails behind my house that I built for my trials bike, but now ride my dirtbikes on. I guess that I like the challenge of trying to ride a line cleanly, that most of the dirt riders would struggle just to make it up.

• Like 1

I do wonder, though, what the chassis' must feel like with the other motors, either 2T or 4T.  It must be sort of magical with less weight as I have to have the heaviest of all the Beta's but it still feels light to me now that I have some miles and just over 54 hours on it now.  I'll admit, the first time I took it on the dirt it felt so awkward as it was brand new and I had not ridden on dirt in about 8 years.  

Some like technical=slow, rocky, hill trails.  I don't mind them but if I have my choice, I will avoid them like I would beginner trails at ski areas when I used to ski.  Part of it is, for years, all me and some guys used to have to ride was all rocky(technical) stuff, so to finally find areas that have sweet-trail, I can finally leave them behind.  I'm also glad I learned and rode the crap for so long so I can go and get up anything out there.  

• Like 1

Another super-ride today.  Every time, after I come back from a ride, I feel compelled to write about how sweet the 17 Beta 500 RR-S is.   

I got to take advantage of the 478cc Betamotor with Fuel Injection on a massive hay field that had just been cut today.  I got to experience the easiest powerwheelies in 4th, 5th or 6th gear from all the gentle rises and rolling hills on the field every time I could crest a small hill, under any sort of power the front end would just gently rise up and I'd just be so content to float it.  It is like the videos of guys jumping from dune to dune in slow-motion as the grass field was so forgiving and with so much traction. 

Also having a private circuit-track to ourselves, as a dirt road was cut into the mountainside that has about no rocks or sticks anywhere on any of the trails was heavenly.  The road had weeds and grasses grown into it so there was also a great mix of both traction and the most desirable driftability on every curve of the trail.  What a treat the area was today and the Beta just does so well as I'm closing in on 1,500 miles and about 70 hours.  

I have the compression all the way soft and the rebound almost all the way slow on both ends as I like everything nice and soft and am so used to how the bike performs the way I have it now.  The 500 power is still just madness, just how I like it.  I love the confidence of knowing that anytime I might need a boost of any kind, it is there with this motor.  I also didn't notice any of the  clutch drag as I sure as heck was not on pavement and there were also no stop lights to have to wait for.  Asphalt is just such a drag but riding on the street is sure better than not riding the RR-S at all.  

Electric start.  Man, I love not having or needing to ever kick.  

• Like 2