17 300XC-W, hole in air filter foam

I decided to wash out the foam air filter in my 2017 300 XC-W. There was a small hole worn in the foam. Never saw that before. Obviously I had to throw out the foam and get a new one.

The hole was fairly small, maybe 3/16" in diameter. It was located at the very top of the foam, if you place the plastic frame down, the foam looks kinda like a mountain. Right at the peak, there was the hole.

Anyone else seen this? Ideas on what caused it?

Note, the '17's filter is very different than the one in my 08 250 XC-F. That one has a peg sticking out of the top of the mountain/frame, exactly where this one has a hole. The 17 filter has two pegs, 180 degrees apart at the bottom of the mountain

On 8/17/2017 at 3:07 PM, pat22043 said:

I decided to wash out the foam air filter in my 2017 300 XC-W. There was a small hole worn in the foam. Never saw that before. Obviously I had to throw out the foam and get a new one.

The hole was fairly small, maybe 3/16" in diameter. It was located at the very top of the foam, if you place the plastic frame down, the foam looks kinda like a mountain. Right at the peak, there was the hole.

Anyone else seen this? Ideas on what caused it?

Note, the '17's filter is very different than the one in my 08 250 XC-F. That one has a peg sticking out of the top of the mountain/frame, exactly where this one has a hole. The 17 filter has two pegs, 180 degrees apart at the bottom of the mountain

Yep, my 2017 Husky TX300 filter had a cut in the top from when I pulled the cage out of the filter. The cage was very sharp on the top of the post in the middle of the cage that the inside top of the filter rests on. It's almost like there's supposed to be a rubber piece snapped on there. I clean every couple of rides so the cage didn't have a chance to wear a hole through, though.  But it did slice it a bit. I just glued the cut back together with vinyl mender after cleaning and drying it.

And to fix the problem, I sanded the top of the cage smooth with some fine grit sand paper. Seems to be okay now. I've cleaned my two filters several times since that first cut and haven't noticed any issues.

EDIT: I see that the replies above pretty much say the same thing as mine. I might try that add-on part linked to above but at $10 for a $0.25 part??

Edited by cosmoKenney

1 hour ago, cosmoKenney said:

Yep, my 2017 Husky TX300 filter had a cut in the top from when I pulled the cage out of the filter. The cage was very sharp on the top of the post in the middle of the cage that the inside top of the filter rests on. It's almost like there's supposed to be a rubber piece snapped on there. I clean every couple of rides so the cage didn't have a chance to wear a hole through, though.  But it did slice it a bit. I just glued the cut back together with vinyl mender after cleaning and drying it.

And to fix the problem, I sanded the top of the cage smooth with some fine grit sand paper. Seems to be okay now. I've cleaned my two filters several times since that first cut and haven't noticed any issues.

EDIT: I see that the replies above pretty much say the same thing as mine. I might try that add-on part linked to above but at $10 for a $0.25 part??

don't like the price, don't buy the part. Come up with a rigged set up or smooth out the cage.

I poked a hole in mine on the first filter wash, with one of those nubs.  Luckily it was on the base flange which is sealed with grease.  It is now a spare I guess.  Cam.

On 8/17/2017 at 9:32 PM, pat22043 said:

Wow, that sure looks like a great first project for your 3D printer.....
since I don't have one, I've sprung for the $14. Sure hope it comes in KTM orange

I have one on mine an yes it's orange Pat 👍

2 hours ago, Southernend said:

I have one on mine an yes it's orange Pat 👍

Black one here and yes it works fine.  Should I spray paint it orange?  Still had to file the very tip off.  A good investment of $14 for a $10K machine. 

Edited by AZ Thumpdaddy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AZ Thumpdaddy said:

Black one here and yes it works fine.  Should I spray paint it orange?  Still had to file the very tip off.  A good investment of $14 for a $10K machine. 

I think the orange disk gives 1 extra horsepower 

• Like 1