AFTERMARKET SEAT - what's your take?

I am looking at getting a new seat now that I have a plate on my 2007 WR450. I am looking at Seat Concepts and GUTS Racing. Seat Concepts has one option for normal height with a 2 week lead time. GUTS racing has different options but their comfort seat is a soft padding. I ride mostly street with this bike but will take it out to the trails occasionally. I am also teaching the lady how to ride so lots of low speed/sitting and waiting. Is it worth the wait for the SC? Is the soft foam from GUTS racing too soft?

GUTS foam with a tractionmx seat cover. I have used GUTS soft foam before and it was the same as any other soft foam. I don't like soft foam though.

1 hour ago, Nixinus said:

I am looking at getting a new seat now that I have a plate on my 2007 WR450. I am looking at Seat Concepts and GUTS Racing. Seat Concepts has one option for normal height with a 2 week lead time. GUTS racing has different options but their comfort seat is a soft padding. I ride mostly street with this bike but will take it out to the trails occasionally. I am also teaching the lady how to ride so lots of low speed/sitting and waiting. Is it worth the wait for the SC? Is the soft foam from GUTS racing too soft?

My experience is Guts is too soft. Seat Concepts is the way to go. 

Guts has soft medium and firm

Soft effectively lowers the seat height, and medium is softer than shock jap seats. Firm is slightly less than stock Ktm sxf seats

SC seats are made to match your weight and riding style, and in my experience their ordering method is kind of a joke. They wont let you pick the foam density, they decide for you. 

7 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

Guts has soft medium and firm

Soft effectively lowers the seat height, and medium is softer than shock jap seats. Firm is slightly less than stock Ktm sxf seats

SC seats are made to match your weight and riding style, and in my experience their ordering method is kind of a joke. They wont let you pick the foam density, they decide for you. 

Maybe true but the new seat I just got from Seat Concepts for the orange bike the foam was right on the money.

I tried to order seat foam and a cover from Guts and they wouldn't tell me what foam works well. So after throwing two of them in the trash I ended up with the stock foam on my 16' WR. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Maybe true but the new seat I just got from Seat Concepts for the orange bike the foam was right on the money.

I tried to order seat foam and a cover from Guts and they wouldn't tell me what foam works well. So after throwing two of them in the trash I ended up with the stock foam on my 16' WR. 

That's kinda what I am going through, and why I am asking. SC has a longer lead time and I can't choose the firmness. GUTS has many reviews that seem to contradict some of the info I an getting. I know 'soft' is a subjective feeling but I'm hoping to get some more info to decide.

13 minutes ago, Nixinus said:

That's kinda what I am going through, and why I am asking. SC has a longer lead time and I can't choose the firmness. GUTS has many reviews that seem to contradict some of the info I an getting. I know 'soft' is a subjective feeling but I'm hoping to get some more info to decide.

After getting my Seat Concepts right the first time I believe they actually know what foam to use for what seat. 

Guts doesn't give good advise.  

• Like 1

I have a gutz seat on mine and I think it's a tall soft...been so long, anyway it's ok, still not that comfortable. I will try seat concepts for sure next time.

I've used several Gutz tall firm seats. Like them.

Had an SDG seat that was supposed to be 1.5" taller, in the end they admitted that their tall seat was just the regular seat. :banghead:

Looks like SC will fit my weight and use for the bike better. I mostly ride on pavement and hard pack (lots of sitting). SC foam supports riders between 150 lbs and 250lbs. Since I am on the low end of that range I should have enough support. Plus their seat is a little wider. GUTS has great reviews for their stock size seats and you can choose density but they wouldn't change the foam on their comfort seat (wider version), it only comes in a soft. 

As always, thanks for the input guys. I'll report back once I get the seat installed.

• Like 1

I got my local upholsterer to take off the original seat cover, attach a piece 1/2'' piece of soft foam to the top of the original foam and refit the original cover. It saw me through 12 hours of the dawn to dusk without complaint. In fact my arse was the only part of me that didnt hurt! Cost me £40, worth a go before splashing the cash

PS. Was for my '07 WR450F

Edited by Pancho_Jsy
  • Like 1

I use the Guts soft and LOVE it.  I stand up to ride roots, rocks and ruts in the Tennessee. mountains.  When I sit, I don't want to sit on a 2x4.  I may run 10 miles of single track that will make one huff and pond with sweat streaming down.  Then I may run a 20 mile transition to another one.  

53 minutes ago, The Hedgehog said:

I use the Guts soft and LOVE it.  I stand up to ride roots, rocks and ruts in the Tennessee. mountains.  When I sit, I don't want to sit on a 2x4.  I may run 10 miles of single track that will make one huff and pond with sweat streaming down.  Then I may run a 20 mile transition to another one.  

Let us know if you still love it after it breaks in. 

15 hours ago, stevethe said:

Let us know if you still love it after it breaks in. 

Had it for 75 hours.  And I still love it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevethe said:

Mine was like sitting on the seat pan. 🤢

I was quite worried about that.  I got the comfort fit which I am told is soft.  I have taken a few decent hits when I was tired and sitting down.  It has not been a problem yet.

• Like 1