What is the trick to getting this piece back in

This is driving me crazy. I'm ready to smash it in with a hammer. I figured this gasket was bad and was leaking and causing this mess all over my engine. But now that I look closer. There is no oil/antifreeze anywhere in this system. The previous owner did have it slathered with silicone though.. So

1. how the hell do I get this piece back in. Even smushing the gasket down as I press the plastic piece down doesn't seem to work. And I was extremely rough with it. Please don't tell me my case has to come off so I can slide this in.

2. What is leaking all over the front end of my bike!?!

IMG_2516.jpgIMG_2519.jpg

It's not happening guys. I used lube and tried to force the new one in on an angle with brute strength. All I did was rough up the seal and rip it, and poke a pick into the tip of my finger [emoji35]. So I ended up re using the old lower gasket, it was fine anyways. I never should have taken that piece out. It was the upper gasket giving me troubles anyways.

Tbh. It was quicker and easier to just pop the bolts out of the clutch case. I thought it woulda been worse. Not even all of the bolts either, just the front half. Pull the front half of the cover away from the motor. Yes I flexed the case, and slip the seal carrier back in. Took five minutes. Where as I spent ten minutes trying to cram it in there with a screwdriver. Now I need new rad fluid and clutch oil... Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Now to find where that leak is coming from. Is it possible that it's from my rad overflow hose? I've been steaming the rads a lot lately. Not sure why, but could that be what's all over my motor???

• Like 1

All the advice you received was spot on.Hot water to make it soft and flexible.Any silicon or dielectric grease to slick it up.A beer or glass of scotch.Some good music a few deep breaths and positive thinking will get it taken care of.I would take a rag with WD40 and clean that area up good before hand.Nothing like being able to see exactly what you need to see.Let us know how its going.

• Like 2

Spooge from your PV.  Something isn't sealing correctly, probably why the PO had it coated with silicone/rtv.

Not sure what year your bike is, but my overflow connects to the frame so any boil over comes down through the front frame tube.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe hot water woulda helped. That seal was pretty stiff. I cleaned that area as good as I could. Next time the whole case will have to get taken right off. I wasn't planning on doing that much. Just supposed to be a quick o ring (D ring?) change!

It's not spooge. It's either clutch oil or rad fluid. I'm leaning towards rad fluid. With these new taller rads. My overflow hose didn't quite reach that frame nipple. So it just hung down and pissed everywhere. It's now connected to the frame (2012). Not sure if I like it there as I can't really tell when I'm overheating. Which seems to be very often. Maybe I left a paper towel corner in the water pump cover!!!

I just did a top end and everything went perfect and by the book. I don't know what the he'll could be leaking/causing it to overheat so much. She just took almost a litre of fluid which means it was damn near empty. :eek:

I'll tinker with it some more tomorrow if I feel motivated. She's cleaned up now so it should be easy to find exactly where it's coming from

• Like 2

Hmmmm that's very interesting. I do get steam though. But the seal on it seems a tad rough. It's the oem cap I put on aftermarket Chinese rads. Maybe I'll give the Chinese brand new rad cap a try instead. Thanks for the tip. I think I've heard that one twice now!! Changing it tomorrow for sure now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cdf450 said:

Hmmmm that's very interesting. I do get steam though. But the seal on it seems a tad rough. It's the oem cap I put on aftermarket Chinese rads. Maybe I'll give the Chinese brand new rad cap a try instead. Thanks for the tip. I think I've heard that one twice now!! Changing it tomorrow for sure now

Chinese rads??  Booo!!!! ?

• Like 2

about not taking advice? hah,  the only thing I didnt try was hot water and the beer.  want to know why I didnt try that?  I had the piece in a different/easier way before I even came back to check for an answer.... so whats the problem here?  I believe it was you that said "If not the cover will have to come off."... well guess what... that "IF NOT" came into play, and I needed to take the cover off!!!!!   so whos advice did I ignore now?    or was I supposed to use ALL the recommendations at once??

heating it in hot water would take 10 minutes, and still risk damaging it when installing it.... just like I did.  this thing is TIGHT.   I had it 98% of the way in, then the one back corner flipped up and wouldnt settle.  I pressed on it so hard with a screwdriver that it went right through the rubber.   so I pulled the whole piece off to restart, and upon doing that, I learned that the front half of the seal looked funny and got pressed down weirdly. 

removing the front half of the case took 5 minutes, and no risk of damaging it.   while I do appreciate your advice and ideas. none of them were working for me..., its simple as that.   maybe you guys can take a tip from me once in a while ?   split the cases, its easier that way. even just the front half.  I didnt even take all the bolts out.   no extreme patience, heat or lube needed.  take the easy route this time.

am I starting to make sense here??

Edited by cdf450

1 hour ago, cdf450 said:

about not taking advice? hah,  the only thing I didnt try was hot water and the beer.  want to know why I didnt try that?  I had the piece in a different/easier way before I even came back to check for an answer.... so whats the problem here?  I believe it was you that said "If not the cover will have to come off."... well guess what... that "IF NOT" came into play, and I needed to take the cover off!!!!!   so whos advice did I ignore now?    or was I supposed to use ALL the recommendations at once??

heating it in hot water would take 10 minutes, and still risk damaging it when installing it.... just like I did.  this thing is TIGHT.   I had it 98% of the way in, then the one back corner flipped up and wouldnt settle.  I pressed on it so hard with a screwdriver that it went right through the rubber.   so I pulled the whole piece off to restart, and upon doing that, I learned that the front half of the seal looked funny and got pressed down weirdly. 

removing the front half of the case took 5 minutes, and no risk of damaging it.   while I do appreciate your advice and ideas. none of them were working for me..., its simple as that.   maybe you guys can take a tip from me once in a while ?   split the cases, its easier that way. even just the front half.  I didnt even take all the bolts out.   no extreme patience, heat or lube needed.  take the easy route this time.

am I starting to make sense here??

Lol, he's just busting your balls a little man, we are all just trying to be helpful.  Glad you were able to get it fixed. 

• Like 2

Ya know. I kinda wondered that too. I think we got a winner here guys!!!!! Seems like the previous owner struggled with this too... Silicone/gasket maker all over the front of it. Easy fix. I owe you a beer!!!! (And Jeff slavens... His vids are amazing)

Common for this year eh.... What other bugs does this year have? Coulda swore i made a thread asking before I bought it. And all I was told is kick start bolt (yup) and shifter bolt (yup) are known for coming loose. There was something else the plagued this year that I can't remember. Ktm = keep tightening me?

IMG_2547.thumb.jpg.e678fa40345884731002b338afc9eb43.jpgIMG_2548.thumb.jpg.63521064c765f0748aee515a456780a6.jpgIMG_2549.thumb.jpg.0f62ae11b55cfb6a38c6fc49778ecf2d.jpg

• Like 2