water in frame in my 2017 exc-f

water is getting in the frame tube below engine . i just change my oil and removed the 2 bolt in lower frame tube under engine . those 2 bolt hold plastique skid plate . took the blow gun and blow some air in the bolt hole . holyshit , water and rust was coming out badly . it getting in were the charcoal canister near the front pipe . there is no drain  , only filing up the frame .

i suggest you remove the 2 bolt and blow air in the frame to check if it have some water in it .

not sure if i should drill 2 small drain under engine frame tube . what worst , 2 small drain or rusted frame ! drain hole make weak spot to break and rust is not a good thing to have in he frame tube . 

Edited by cisco 1
  • Like 1

Dry the frame tube out with air, then spray in a ton of rustolium paint, or just a bunch of thick oil to coat the inside. That should keep it reasonably ok.  

1 hour ago, cisco 1 said:

water is getting in the frame tube below engine . i just change my oil and removed the 2 bolt in lower frame tube under engine . those 2 bolt hold plastique skid plate . took the blow gun and blow some air in the bolt hole . holyshit , water and rust was coming out badly . it getting in were the charcoal canister near the front pipe . there is no drain  , only filing up the frame .

i suggest you remove the 2 bolt and blow air in the frame to check if it have some water in it .

not sure if i should drill 2 small drain under engine frame tube . what worst , 2 small drain or rusted frame ! drain hole make weak spot to break and rust is not a good thing to have in he frame tube . 

Thanks for sharing. But not good I was looking at the frame being open at the top with no weep holes in the bottom. 

This may be why some Huskies have broken off linkage frame mounts at the bottom of the frame, and it was all rusted out.   Or all the paint peeling off in that area, from rusting.

This seems like a big over sight.

• Like 2

What if you try it out and let us know what happens :-))

But no, a very small hole will not matter but very small holes probably don't drain at all and large holes will create a weak spot. So I would, like others said, get some protective (oil) film in there seal the hole wherever it is.

So what has everyone done?

I was looking for some frame drain holes the other day, on my 2015. and didn't find any.  I dont have any rusting or paint peeling issues, and rarely water hose the bike, other than a wet rag wipe down. But does make you wonder if just putting a water hose on the bike, is doing detrimental harm, internally, if water is easily going in and not flowing out?.

I would drill small hole in lower rear of frame, Then find where its getting in at and put clear silicone on it.

My suggestion would be to make a small hole,  one at either end of the wet area...then aim a fan at one end and let it run for a long time (like a week or so)...or maybe even buy a cheap sacrificial hair dryer and run it on low heat/speed...until you're sure the area inside the frame dry.  I see you're in Quebec (I'm from Montreal originally), so I'm sure you've got plenty of time before you're next ride.

Then squirt some oil (more is probably better than less) in the hole and do your best to spread it around.

Then let the excess oil drip out over a few days...this will also allow time for the oil to "migrate" through the inside of the frame area.

Then get some JB weld...and mix up a good blob....

Then clean the area around the holes as best you can with a solvent to get rid of oil residue....

Then quickly patch the areas with the JB weld...and let dry....it will take a good 12-24 hours for the JB weld to totally cure.  It will make an extremely durable patch.

Then sand it down (make sure you leave enough to maintain the integrity of the patch)...or just leave it as is if you were able to get it reasonably smooth application when you originally put it on, and paint it with primer and the closest colour match you can get with a good quality paint.

I would also probably check it frequently and re-paint as required.

And...most importantly...find where the water is getting in and seal it up before you ride again!

There you go....my $.02.....Yeah, its a bit of a "process"...but...c'est la vie!

Edited by travertt

post a pic of the problem , when you did de-smog were the parts removed or unplugged and left in place ?