Float needle not seating??

My son has a 2004 Honda CRF 50 and I noticed a while back that fuel was coming out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the carb. So, 2 days ago I took the carb apart and cleaned the float needle. The problem stopped and the bike didn't leak fuel at all for 2 days. I even left the fuel petcock in the on position for around an hour right after I cleaned it just to make sure it wasn't going to leak and it didn't leak a drop. Well today he was riding the bike and I noticed it was leaking fuel out of the tube again. Any ideas as to why it would be doing it again so quick?

Edited by rdockery_3

Possible worn needle and seat  - part # 16155-883-005

Clean / check your fuel tank petcock - might have some grit in there getting thru if the screen is damaged

1 hour ago, rdockery_3 said:

My son has a 2004 Honda CRF 50 and I noticed a while back that fuel was coming out of the overflow tube at the bottom of the carb. So, 2 days ago I took the carb apart and cleaned the float needle. The problem stopped and the bike didn't leak fuel at all for 2 days. I even left the fuel petcock in the on position for around an hour right after I cleaned it just to make sure it wasn't going to leak and it didn't leak a drop. Well today he was riding the bike and I noticed it was leaking fuel out of the tube again. Any ideas as to why it would be doing it again so quick?

polish the seat with a cue tip and car polish 

I had a similar experience with my son's '13 150. I'd flush the carb and it would work great, and then after a while it would dump gas again. It turned out to be a deteriorating fuel line that was sloughing off bits of the inner liner. The debris would get lodged under the fuel shutoff needle, preventing it from seating properly. The bike had been stored for well over a year with pump gas that had ethanol in it. The ethanol had turned the inside of the fuel line into a gooey mess. Of course any type of debris coming in with the gas can have the same effect. If you do find debris and it's not coming from the fuel line then I'd flush and inspect the tank.

Have you checked the floats to make sure they're in good condition, adjusted properly, and not sticking?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using ThumperTalk mobile app

As mentioned, corrosion is most likely the culprit. 

Polish out the float needle body AND THE CAVITY it sits in.

You can determing sealing of the needle tip on to the brass seat visually.

If the carb has been sitting a long time dry, there may be an oring underneath the brass seat that has deteriorated, but it may only be a press in without a ring too.