'96 RM250 flywheel weight

I am helping my son replace the stator on his '96 RM250. After putting rope in the cylinder to stop the crank, I was to easily remove the crank nut. However, the weight, which I think is reverse threaded (could it be pressed on), is another problem. How does it come off? There are no holes for a puller, only a small lip on the edge, which maybe some other sort of puller may work. Strap or chain wrench maybe? Has anyone pulled one of these lately? Any pic's or tip's? Thanks.

buy a tusk brand flywheel puller and it will come right off, like 11 bucks on ebay. If what you are calling the stator is actually the circular disk that spends around the stator that is held on with a bolt and most bikes a keyway hold on.

• Like 1

It threads into the inside of the rotor because there are threads there for a puller and then it pushes against your crank and the rotor pops off. You can try prying on it and tapping your crank with a hammer with the nut threaded on. I have gotten the flywheel off by doing that before but you run the risk of damaging the crank.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. However, I only see the crankshaft threads. This weight has no threads visible, so I'm not sure how it comes off. I saw a video on You Tube where the weight was reverse threaded onto the crank and a chain wrench was used, then once it was off, the stator itself can be pulled off.

so you have like a weight threaded onto crankshaft?  the only weight ive ever seen would be on the outside of rotor/flywheel, snap a pic

so you most likely have a steahly flywheel weight screwed into the puller threads on your rotor/flywheel, im guessing. prob  need this tools1200_steahhhh1.jpg

Just now, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Aha the old Steahly FWW that saw us coming and try to trick us

Sorry man. I was not familiar with it. I though it appeared a bit strange with no pulling holes. Is is threaded and needs a plumbers strap wrench or something?

Try this place - they build flywheel pullers

Boss Powersports Outlet
P.O. Box 4031
Hickory, NC 28603-4031

1-888-809-9088

Send them the pic - and the thread size - worth a shot   :excuseme:

unfortunately I have seen that style before held on with epoxy as per installation instructions. But I don't think that is what this is. I believe you screw the weight off by turning right, ie reverse threads. The weight should be threaded into the threads that a normal flywheel puller screws into. hope this helps.

www.steahlyoffroad.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/gray-instructions.pdf

• Like 1

It's a left handed thread deal.  You need to lock the crank and use a strap wrench and spin it to the right (clockwise) to remove it.

Definitely not one of Steahly better ideas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zig06 said:

It's a left handed thread deal.  You need to lock the crank and use a strap wrench and spin it to the right (clockwise) to remove it.

Definitely not one of Steahly better ideas.

I got it off !!! It was simply a weight. The flywheel is now easily removable. Thanks for all the info.  Lessons learned: it is definitely left handed (reverse) thread. No set screws on the side, no epoxy or Loctite visible. It is simply threaded onto the crank. Bought a $9.00 chain wrench at Harbor Frieght, had it off in less than a minute.

Edited by HomerDodd
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, HomerDodd said:

I got it off !!! It was simply a weight. The flywheel is now easily removable. Thanks for all the info.  Lessons learned: it is definitely left handed (reverse) thread. No set screws on the side, no epoxy or Loctite visible. It is simply threaded onto the crank. Bought a $9.00 chain wrench at Harbor Frieght, had it off in less than a minute.

Excellent news!  Now you need to decide if it's worth keeping.  I do have a 10 ounce Steahly FWW on my '99 RM250, it really does make it hook up better but not as much fun riding without the weight.  Decisions decisions....

9 hours ago, zig06 said:

Excellent news!  Now you need to decide if it's worth keeping.  I do have a 10 ounce Steahly FWW on my '99 RM250, it really does make it hook up better but not as much fun riding without the weight.  Decisions decisions....

Thanks Zig. I was actually wondering if it really was necessary or made any kind of difference. Any opinions on this?