Sign in to follow this  

Overheating after new pipe, jetting, and k&n filter

Like the title says. My temp light is coming on after a few minutes of ridingy 2016 400s. The fan isn't even coming on. I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. Installed the pipe and filter. Had the local dealer do my jetting.

It comes on during riding and after being off for 20 minutes. It goes off and on. Seems to happen more when I lean. I read fan and indicator are on different switches. Maybe the one is busted.

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Check the wires to the switch on the right side radiator sensor, you may of pinched them.

Thanks for the tip. I wiggled them around this morning. No problems on my way to work.

I'm curious, the light is either on or off, right? Will fade in and out. Sometimes glow dimly. I'm thinking maybe some water got in there and is grounding it.

It is a LED light, so it does not need a lot of current to activate it though if the water was in the switch, I'd think the heat would evaporate it. Simple test. Unplug the wires at the switch (you can do it on the bike, at most, remove the radiator shroud on the right side to access it.

The switch works by making a ground connection. If unplugged, the light still comes on, you know you have a wiring issue someplace. If not then plug in just the Black with Green stripe wire. If the light comes on, you have a fault in the sensor.