Buying a new 450 help?

I figured I would get some more input by asking my question in the general discussion. I currently ride an 08 kx450f in good mechanical condition and pretty clean overall for it being 10 years old. The bike always starts up easy hot, cold or after a crash and it still has a carb. I bought the bike this spring and it is my first 450 and I am and average rider who gets out maybe 2-3 times a month. I have been wanting a new bike lately and the dealership has a 2017 for $7,017.00 out the door. I would sell my bike and finance the rest. I could pay off the bike in 24 months or less. I am second guessing myself because although the new 16 and up kx450fs are on a new and improved chassis ( yes I plan on getting another kx450f) I am not sure it's worth spending the money on a new bike when my bike runs and looks good. On the other hand my bike is 10 years old and while it runs good I have no idea how long these bottom ends can last on a 450 and I know to some people doing a rebuild rather than buying a new bike makes sense but I would personally have a hard time spending that kind of money on a 10 year old bike and also further depreciation of the bike after another 2-3 years. I do know these bikes have no warranty so everything is a gamble. I plan on keeping the bike bike for 4-5 years if I bought it new or maybe longer. I am not big into dumping a lot of aftermarket parts on a bike that I don't race and don't log to much hours yearly. I like clean stuff and am looking at it as more of a bike to where I would not have to worry about to much other than regular maintenance and just getting out and riding. So in your opinions does it make sense to get a new bike or just stick with my paid for 08 kx450f? The fuel injected and new chassis are tempting but is that more noticeable for someone who rides a lot or races vs the weekend warrior who puts 4 hours a month on a bike? 
 Thanks for any help guiding me.

I've had a TON of bikes in the last 10 years. I bought some specifically with the objective of making money (when the economy supported that - it no longer does) and others to actually own until I decided that I wanted something else. Each bike was sold due to issues that I didn't like or interest in other bikes. 

If you have no issues with starting the FCR 08 KX450 and it doesn't stall randomly on you then you should consider keeping it. The FI bikes start very easy and don't stall very easily either. If you have no issue with how much gas the 08 consumes then the FI version won't help you much despite being more fuel efficient. Those would be my reasons for getting the FI bike. I have a 2016 KX250F now. :)

Either way with your 08 and a rebuilt motor and say some new wheels and suspension work you'll be into the bike for more money. It's either pay now with the 2017 or pay later with all the preventative maintenance and bling thrown at the 08. Each bike will result in money lost - there's no way to recoup your money unless you got the 2017 for say $3,000 which is never gonna happen. 

• Like 1

For me, you answered it when you said the word loan.  I would stay on the 08 kaw 450 until you can buy your next toy cash.

I ride a carbed 08 450 and love it.  I looked at a 2017 KX450 last week and didn't like the new look of silver fork tubes. Looks cheap.

As a casual, non-racing rider you probably won't notice much positive difference with a new 2017, improved chassis, fuel injection, infinitely adjustable air forks or otherwise. You describe the 2008 as clean and reliable, so it sounds like you want a new bike just to have a new bike.  If you're good with financing around 4 grand for a new toy, have at it. 

I've had a TON of bikes in the last 10 years. I bought some specifically with the objective of making money (when the economy supported that - it no longer does) and others to actually own until I decided that I wanted something else. Each bike was sold due to issues that I didn't like or interest in other bikes. 
If you have no issues with starting the FCR 08 KX450 and it doesn't stall randomly on you then you should consider keeping it. The FI bikes start very easy and don't stall very easily either. If you have no issue with how much gas the 08 consumes then the FI version won't help you much despite being more fuel efficient. Those would be my reasons for getting the FI bike. I have a 2016 KX250F now.
Either way with your 08 and a rebuilt motor and say some new wheels and suspension work you'll be into the bike for more money. It's either pay now with the 2017 or pay later with all the preventative maintenance and bling thrown at the 08. Each bike will result in money lost - there's no way to recoup your money unless you got the 2017 for say $3,000 which is never gonna happen. 

Point well said. Suspension wise for the average casual rider I don't see why the stock suspension would be worth doing with today's technology. I wouldn't pay to have that gone through or so I say lol. I most likely if I pull the trigger will be sometime next year.

For me, you answered it when you said the word loan.  I would stay on the 08 kaw 450 until you can buy your next toy cash.
I ride a carbed 08 450 and love it.  I looked at a 2017 KX450 last week and didn't like the new look of silver fork tubes. Looks cheap.

I agree the silver forks are not as good looking but again my gold forks are a little scratched up as well so they don't look as good as they could. As for the loan I planned on putting close to half cash down or it would be awhile before I could save up that much haha. The payments for 2 years would be very doable a month in the $150 range.

As a casual, non-racing rider you probably won't notice much positive difference with a new 2017, improved chassis, fuel injection, infinitely adjustable air forks or otherwise. You describe the 2008 as clean and reliable, so it sounds like you want a new bike just to have a new bike.  If you're good with financing around 4 grand for a new toy, have at it. 

Good answer to my question. If it won't be night and day performance wise for me, at that point it would be more just to have a clean un dinged bike. I could always sample my engine oil to check if anything is starting to wear bad internally. Everyone says these 4 strokes are time bombs but I don't read a lot of people starting threads stating their bike blew up on a consistent basis.

4 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

Good answer to my question. If it won't be night and day performance wise for me, at that point it would be more just to have a clean un dinged bike. I could always sample my engine oil to check if anything is starting to wear bad internally. Everyone says these 4 strokes are time bombs but I don't read a lot of people starting threads stating their bike blew up on a consistent basis.

Here's a thread about a 450 running great with no problems! Few people post threads about that. 

Sounds like me when I was a young man.  Not just wanted, but "needed" everything right now. I put everything on a loan, even had to have a 386 computer on a loan and paid minumum payments for a couple years. Now that is some high interst rates! 

When you age a little you see all that wasted money on loan interest on things that you didn't really "need".

Sounds like me when I was a young man.  Not just wanted, but "needed" everything right now. I put everything on a loan, even had to have a 386 computer on a loan and paid minumum payments for a couple years. Now that is some high interst rates! 
When you age a little you see all that wasted money on loan interest on things that you didn't really "need".

Hahaha actually I'm 32, not old just feel it lol. I did the math before I even considered a bike loan because I've been down the credit card interest road and learned my lesson. I now have a mortgage and the old lady's vehicle loan. At a 2 year loan at 3.99 from Kawasaki interest would be $160 if I paid $160 a month for 24
Months so that's why I am considering feeling ok with a loan.
  • Like 1

I just ran it thru.

If you pay 160 a month for 2 years, you will still owe $3608.42 on it, and you will have paid $431.42 interest already.

If you pay $305 a month, you will own it in two years and pay $295 interest.

Feel free to check my math.

23 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

I just ran it thru.

If you pay 160 a month for 2 years, you will still owe $3608.42 on it, and you will have paid $431.42 interest already.

If you pay $305 a month, you will own it in two years and pay $295 interest.

Feel free to check my math.

He'd only be financing some of the bike since the sale of his 08' be his down payment($2,500$3,000ish i'd guess). 

If you're confident you'll pay it off in 24 months, then I'd say do it. New bike day is the best day and with the 18's starting to hit the dealers you should be able to get a price on a 17'.

• Like 2

He'd only be financing some of the bike since the sale of his 08' be his down payment($2,500$3,000ish i'd guess). 

If you're confident you'll pay it off in 24 months, then I'd say do it. New bike day is the best day and with the 18's starting to hit the dealers you should be able to get a price on a 17'.

You are correct I plan on only financing around $3,500. I planned on selling my bike and putting down cash on top of that.

FYI I can get a 17 right now for a dealer in my state for $7,017 out the door.

If they give him $3330 for his 08 it works out. Thanks.

I would sell my 08 outright as the dealer doesn't take trade ins.

What happened to the RMZ??? What is the allegiance to Kawasaki? 

Haha I have always had Kawi and I'm not sure I can go towards the RMZ lol. However I wouldn't mind having an RM 250t. I may still ride my friends RMZ450 before I make a final decision though.

Ride one before buying! Just giving you  grief, but Kawi doesn't care if you have always ridden one. Get what feels right.

Edited by DEMI

1 hour ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

Hahaha actually I'm 32, not old just feel it lol. I did the math before I even considered a bike loan because I've been down the credit card interest road and learned my lesson. I now have a mortgage and the old lady's vehicle loan. At a 2 year loan at 3.99 from Kawasaki interest would be $160 if I paid $160 a month for 24
Months so that's why I am considering feeling ok with a loan.

Before signing on for the loan, read the fine print. Not sure on this, but it's very possible you'll have to have insurance coverage since Kawi will own the bike until it's paid off. 

2 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Before signing on for the loan, read the fine print. Not sure on this, but it's very possible you'll have to have insurance coverage since Kawi will own the bike until it's paid off. 

Ask about early payoff penalty fees too. 

16 minutes ago, DEMI said:

What happened to the RMZ??? What is the allegiance to Kawasaki? 

If one must ask then one will not understand. :bonk: Kawasaki :worthy::awww::banana:

• Like 3