Out of state Green Sticker regulation changed

The California Off Highway, out of state Green/Red sticker regulations were quietly changed earlier this year. 

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/OHV Information Bulletin - Non-Resident Red Sticker Equipment.pdf

Current Procedure: Nonresident off-highway vehicle (OHV) users, when visiting California, must have either current OHV registration from their home state or purchase a California OHV Nonresident Permit.  Current practice dictates that these visitors are not subject to California Clean Air Standards as defined in the California Code of Regulations (CCR) and can, therefore, operate their California non-compliant OHVs (red sticker motorcycles and ATVs) year round in California.

New Procedure: Enforcement of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations shall be based upon the vehicle and not the residence of the owner. All OHVs that would receive an emissions noncompliant designation (Red Sticker) in California (identified by a 3 or C in the eighth digit of the VIN) may only be ridden during open Red Sticker riding seasons with a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit or an equivalent current home state registration. Riding seasons are determined by CARB and can be found at: www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/redsticker_riding.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

You would think with as how fouled up California is, and how in debt they are, the powers to be would have better things to worry about than the absolutely minuscule a mound of pollutants emitted by visiting out of state non CARB compliant motorcycles.  Good grief.  This state is beyond hope.

• Like 1

They don't care about a few dirt bikes from out of state.  They care about the many red sticker locals that abuse the non resident program to ride off season.  But there is already solutions for that...  If the guy has a CA DL he gets a ticket for misuse of registration.  No new rules needed.

The reason they bother with this stuff is because CARB's job has largely been done since the 1980s.  If you lived in CA in the 60s & 70s you know CARB helped clean up this states air in a BIG WAY.  But now they do what all bureaucracies do...  they make busy work to justify their existence and maintain their funding.  They are now more concerned with the growth and sustenance of their agency/department than the original mission.

• Like 3

not if i have a vacation home in another state and register my motorcycle that stays out of state but is brought into CA for maintenance and test rides then i return the motorcycle to my vacation home in another state.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brewster said:

The California Off Highway, out of state Green/Red sticker regulations were quietly changed earlier this year. 

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/OHV Information Bulletin - Non-Resident Red Sticker Equipment.pdf

Current Procedure: Nonresident off-highway vehicle (OHV) users, when visiting California, must have either current OHV registration from their home state or purchase a California OHV Nonresident Permit.  Current practice dictates that these visitors are not subject to California Clean Air Standards as defined in the California Code of Regulations (CCR) and can, therefore, operate their California non-compliant OHVs (red sticker motorcycles and ATVs) year round in California.

New Procedure: Enforcement of the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations shall be based upon the vehicle and not the residence of the owner. All OHVs that would receive an emissions noncompliant designation (Red Sticker) in California (identified by a 3 or C in the eighth digit of the VIN) may only be ridden during open Red Sticker riding seasons with a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit or an equivalent current home state registration. Riding seasons are determined by CARB and can be found at: www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/redsticker_riding.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

So they've spent how much money to keep 100 'red sticker' bikes off a few trails six months out of the year?  Meanwhile, my son is legally ripping up high Sierra trails all summer on his red stickered CR125.

Kalifornia is ran by a serious bunch of morons.

8 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

They don't care about a few dirt bikes from out of state.  They care about the many red sticker locals that abuse the non resident program to ride off season.  But there is already solutions for that...  If the guy has a CA DL he gets a ticket for misuse of registration.  No new rules needed.

The reason they bother with this stuff is because CARB's job has largely been done since the 1980s.  If you lived in CA in the 60s & 70s you know CARB helped clean up this states air in a BIG WAY.  But now they do what all bureaucracies do...  they make busy work to justify their existence and maintain their funding.  They are now more concerned with the growth and sustenance of their agency/department than the original mission.

No doubt this is true but, holy smokes, it's a lot of work for very little air quality benefit.  2T dirtbikes don't even compare to other forms of pollution.

Even if the Red/Green sticker program didn't exist.  How many more 2T bikes would be on the trails compared to now?  Granted, all the motocross bikes are red stickered but they are way cleaner than most 2T bikes.

I think Jeff nailed it.  These folks at CARB, as with with most bureaucracies, create new laws, policies, regulations, etc., to continue to justify their existence, and to justify more personnel, and to increase their budgets.  Just think how much better this state would be If we had a part time legislature, so these clown in Sacramento had something else to do other than sit in their offices and try to dream up more unnecessary law and regulations so they can tout their accomplishments every four years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

It has NOTHING to do with pollution.

It's about control over a segment of the population that the majority consituents would like to see stop growing, or even dissapear.

I think that's where they find their support...  but I still believe the real motivation is self existence of the bureaucracy... nothing more.

• Like 3

I think Jeff nailed it.  These folks at CARB, as with with most bureaucracies, create new laws, policies, regulations, etc., to continue to justify their existence, and to justify more personnel, and to increase their budgets.  Just think how much better this state would be If we had a part time legislature, so these clown in Sacramento had something else to do other than sit in their offices and try to dream up more unnecessary law and regulations so they can tout their accomplishments every four years.
Yep, I've been advocating for a pert time legislature for a long time.

Last year my work brought in 1 dem and 1 Repub and a moderator to discuss some of the ballot measures. They opened it up to questions at the end and I asked their thoughts on having a part time Leg. You can guess the dem's response....the 6th largest economy blah blah. I asked what part of the economy requires legislation 365 days a year. A uncomfortable pause from him and a bit more about some meaningless BS. The Repub took a swipe at the economy needing handholding all the time and talked about wasteful legislation. We're just one of a handful of States that have them...
  • Like 1

it is somewhat true that it's bureaucratic BS, which has most to do with money.
it's government.
and with government we have republicans looking to pad their pockets and fill their lobbyists pockets and the democrats want to make it about air quality.
both sides are full of sh!t.
i kid you not, 7 years ago, i had the head of CARB as a client.
she was new to me and the salon owner knew i'm a unapologetic tree hugger. and a motorhead. i find balance. troll if you like. i don't care.
anyway, i couldn't not get into it with her about the CARB laws.
i argued about semi trucks that are on the roads 24/7 and drive every inch of this state.
and OHV and dirt bikes generally are weekend warrior activities so there's 5-6 days of the week that these OHV's aren't running.
AND we generally ride under 100 miles on these rides. more like 50 miles.
so i said "why aren't you making more strict laws with semi trucks and leave the OHV community alone" (and i also mentioned we're losing our areas to recreate every year) and she said they are which was complete horsesh!t and i kinda called her out on it but she was also a new client and she's an out of touch older woman.
which a lot of politicians are old out of touch people. on both sides.
anyway, it is about money.
plain and simple.
we don't generate the money that the trucking industry does.
and we don't have lobbyists like the trucking industry does.
and i'm not pointing blame on semi trucks. they're a part of our modern lives.
but i was trying to plant a seed in her mind.
but like a lot of politicians, they listen to money.

• Like 1

it is somewhat true that it's bureaucratic BS, which has most to do with money.

it's government.

and with government we have republicans looking to pad their pockets and fill their lobbyists pockets and the democrats want to make it about air quality.

both sides are full of sh!t.

i kid you not, 7 years ago, i had the head of CARB as a client.

she was new to me and the salon owner knew i'm a unapologetic tree hugger. and a motorhead. i find balance. troll if you like. i don't care.

anyway, i couldn't not get into it with her about the CARB laws.

i argued about semi trucks that are on the roads 24/7 and drive every inch of this state.

and OHV and dirt bikes generally are weekend warrior activities so there's 5-6 days of the week that these OHV's aren't running.

AND we generally ride under 100 miles on these rides. more like 50 miles.

so i said "why aren't you making more strict laws with semi trucks and leave the OHV community alone" (and i also mentioned we're losing our areas to recreate every year) and she said they are which was complete horsesh!t and i kinda called her out on it but she was also a new client and she's an out of touch older woman.

which a lot of politicians are old out of touch people. on both sides.

anyway, it is about money.

plain and simple.

we don't generate the money that the trucking industry does.

and we don't have lobbyists like the trucking industry does.

and i'm not pointing blame on semi trucks. they're a part of our modern lives.

but i was trying to plant a seed in her mind.

but like a lot of politicians, they listen to money.

Uh, ok, you know anyone that owns or operates a tractor trailer? They will tell you a much different story.....

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/multirule.pdf

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm

reread my post... this conversation was 7 years ago.

And the regulations started in 2010. 2017 - 2010 = 7 years. You called bullshit on the lady saying they were working on it. :lol:

IMG_1503196709.845973.jpg

California is about to get a huge wakeup call.  Can't say much about it other than they (the politicians and powers that be) better have their retainer paid up in full for their legal teams.  Oh, and some of the politicians that are in office better have a "plan B"....  Hold on.

Edited by Bill_P
  • Like 2

California is about to get a huge wakeup call.  Can't say much about it other than they (the politicians and powers that be) better have their retainer paid up in full for their legal teams.  Oh, and some of the politicians that are in office better have a "plan B"....  Hold on.

Wake up Bill, you're gonna mess your shorts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1