Help me pick the right carb. for my XR600

Hi all,

Just finished rebuilding my engine (XR600R 1997, 99mm wossner piston, std. cam, uni filter, no name "open" exhuast") that I recently bought with an FCR MX41 carb.

My FCR is all worn out (grooves in the carb body, like in the sample pic attached) and even after replacing the wheels to wider ones in order to overcome the grooves I am still unable make it work properly... it wont idle and kill the engine after 20-30 sec from start...

Anyway - I am thinking about replacing the carb with OEM new stock carb. ( http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/part/HP-16100-MN1-681.html ) or maybe go for the XRONLY 250$ deal ( http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-mikuni-flatslide-carburetor-41mm-kit-honda-xr600r-88-00 comes with adaptors, throttle cable and handle etc.)?

What do you recommenced? does anyone have any experience with the XRONLY mikuni 41mm flat-slide carb?

Why does many people prefer replacing the OEM original carb? is it that bad? will it fit my setup inc, the big bore piston?

Sorry for asking many questions, I just want to make sure I am choosing the right carb this time...

FCR_Body_Grooves.jpg

The Mikuni's at XRs aren't pumper carbs like your  FCR , so you'll lose throttle response. Niche Cycle has the Mikuni TM40 which IS a pumper.  Get the adapters they have for the 650R. They have a kit for the 650R , but buying all of the parts in the kit from them individually costs less for some reason than the kit.

• Like 1

I've put a Mikuni tm40 pumper on my '89 xr600. Absolutely the best money i've spent on the old pig. Was told by the dealer the correct set up to suit my bike but i've gradually changed nearly every jet etc. and it now just cracks from idle upwards.

Had a slight stumble off idle at first with the recomended fuel nozzle (25) but when i put an Oring on the mechanism to speed the pump up, it was great so i put in a (45) pump nozzle and of course took off the Oring. Great !

I put in a 22.5 idle jet and a 147.5 main and needle clip 2nd from top.

if you want my opinion, TM40 .

• Like 1

I have a TM40 on my XR600R and love it. But my recommendation for you is to find another FCR MX41. This is considered to be the best carburetor upgrade and you already have all the adapters and jetting, which is the hardest part. Just source another or maybe just the carb body thats bad on yours?