damn, 500 exc lost my licence plate...

I had great ride today off-road, unfortunately few times rear wheel caught my license plate and bent it completely.

I have straightened it out by hand and continued to ride, came back home and noticed empty license holder. 4 bolts and it's gone.

Will try to find it tomorrow as now it's dark here.  Anyway I am irritated, it will be impossible to ride off-road with this @#$% plate holder...

Whoever keep riding with license plate  how do you do it???

There is a thread for the shortie fenders here I think.

You can also cut off the plate holder under the tail light and bolt on AL or plastic backing for the license plate. It makes the tail piece lighter and it flops less. There is no metal support for the fender. Okay for the SX, a really dumb move for the EXC needing the legal side of light & plate. Cost was a couple flush mounts off ebay and some plastic mud flap from the auto accessory store. Camera must have been drinking beer cuz it's straight.

DSCN4954.JPG

Edited by Burnrider
  • Like 1

Been there done that. When I lost mine, I actually had to file a police report and go through a whole bunch of crap to get my tag replaced. I actually lost mine on some tight singletrack about 300 miles from home, and when I told the officer that I knew exactly where I lost it she asked me why don't you go back and get it?  I didn't know that I lost it until I found out it was gone.

Since then, I run my tag vertical.  May be gay, may be illegal, and I don't really care.  Haven't lost a tag since.  I'm asking for forgiveness later...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cadman_ks said:

Since then, I run my tag vertical.  May be gay, may be illegal, and I don't really care.  Haven't lost a tag since.  I'm asking for forgiveness later...

What do you mean by vertical?

Anyway  why even KTM provide such stupid plate holder?

30 minutes ago, motf said:

What do you mean by vertical?

Anyway  why even KTM provide such stupid plate holder?

Sorry, I should have been a little bit clearer on that.  

I did NOT do this with the STOCK OEM tag holder.  I installed an XCW holder, and then put my tag vertical like this.  I also have a plastic plate behind my tag that can't really be seen in this picture.  It's pretty much the exact same size as my plate.  It does the same thing that KTM plate holder does, keeps the tag from bending.  BUT, my tag won't bend at all if I fall sideways, which I do a lot more than falling over backwards. ;)

IMG_20170818_175647.thumb.jpg.2f1ff155535ddd282252fe5c2908f6e7.jpg

Mine didn't make it very long and I wasn't jumping or anything.   it tore right off.  lucky someone found it and gave it back to me. 

IMG_4374.thumb.JPG.64020df1eda86d9e230ab36a9bf6862f.JPG

IMG_4375.thumb.JPG.a26fe59ef1967f9c538dfeab80044d53.JPG

That's probably just as illegal as my vertical tag.  That's why I'm taking my chances with the heat.
Has a plate. That's all anyone around here cares.

I have backtracked myself today and found the plate lying in the bushes.

Now need to figure out what to do with  it. Do you know is it legal to wear it on your back? on backpack?

Probably would be most convenient.

sikass racing suppose to make one for 2017 . they email me and said it in progress . 

i have the 300 off road flap and light with stock blinker and it does not look to nice , i will change it for sikcass set up wen it going to be available . 

9 hours ago, mattwhidden said:
11 hours ago, cadman_ks said:
That's probably just as illegal as my vertical tag.  That's why I'm taking my chances with the heat. emoji6.png

Has a plate. That's all anyone around here cares.

That's what I'm banking on as well.  Knock on wood, I haven't been pulled over yet on my bike.  I was actually in front of the local police just this week, and he followed me for a couple of blocks until he turned off.  Nothing...

I think I lost about 2 license plates on my 15 (before reconfiguring the tail). I just go to the Registration office , say I lost it, and they cancel the lost one and give me a new one.

I don't know why the police would be involved on a lost tag, a stolen tag , different.

Edited by Spud786

3 hours ago, Spud786 said:

I think I lost about 2 license plates on my 15 (before reconfiguring the tail). I just go to the Registration office , say I lost it, and they cancel the lost one and give me a new one.

I don't know why the police would be involved on a lost tag, a stolen tag , different.

I thought the same thing.

But, I had to go to the police and price that it was lost and not stolen.  I was like, "yes, it's lost, and not stolen", and then came questioning about, "are you sure???". It was ridiculous...

• Like 1

As I see safety wire for license plate is a must, unless you're taking plate off when off-road.

I like this: