Leatt vs Bell Helmets

In the Market for a new helmet cant decide on bell or leatt. 

Rocky mountain has them both pretty cheap. Just seeing what everyone has to say about them.

Or if there is another brand someone likes just not super cheap ones

Thanks 

I went from a bell moto 8 to a leatt carbon. Both good helmets but I like the leatt better. Mainly cause it's smaller and lighter... I feel safe in both so that's kind of important too.

38 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Shoei.

they are the industry leader in Off-Road helmets.

Oh really.  I'll bet several other manufacturers would argue with that statement, including Bell and Leatt both of which I would buy before a Shoei.

7 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Oh really.  I'll bet several other manufacturers would argue with that statement, including Bell and Leatt both of which I would buy before a Shoei.

Knock yourself out..................................... :smirk:

Not talking about manufactures endorsing their own products, I'm talking about riders endorsing helmets. :naughty:

Edited by Bermudacat

All the newer helmets are pretty good, I wouldn't worry about level of protection as much as fit. Shoei fits Charlie Brown round heads. I have had lots of brands over the years, HJC actually fits me best. As to who makes the best helmets its always been Arai, hands down. But my Arai doesn't fit me as good as my HJC. The discontinued Arai "long oval" was really good fit. Anyway, FIT IS KING.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HeavyRotation said:

All the newer helmets are pretty good, I wouldn't worry about level of protection as much as fit. Shoei fits Charlie Brown round heads. I have had lots of brands over the years, HJC actually fits me best. As to who makes the best helmets its always been Arai, hands down. But my Arai doesn't fit me as good as my HJC. The discontinued Arai "long oval" was really good fit. Anyway, FIT IS KING.

I'm more of the 'cylindrical potatohead' and the older Aria Signet fit me perfect. When it became the Signet E, it fit my buddy with the 'Zippy the pinhead' forehead fine, but not me.

Bell has been gone too long to charge Arai prices for a lid, ITNHO.

But definitely, weight and fit. Don't be afraid to spend a few $$$, but $400 or so should do it. Get last years color scheme. :smirk:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bermudacat said:

Knock yourself out..................................... :smirk:

Not talking about manufactures endorsing their own products, I'm talking about riders endorsing helmets. :naughty:

Not a 6D fan at all, but I would probably successfully argue they are currently the industry leader, with Bell not far behind.

3 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Not a 6D fan at all, but I would probably successfully argue they are currently the industry leader, with Bell not far behind.

Vote with your dollars and buy one. No arguing necessary...................:D

• Like 1

Sboei is a heavier helmet as is the 6D. The Bell is lighter than both. If you want light with the mips tech thw new Troy Lee SE4 is nearly 20 percent lighter than all of these.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

So now we’ve made it to the Shoei dirt bike helmets. Shoei is one of the Best Dirt Bike Helmet Brand.This is a company famous for their uncompromising safety standards and the lightness of their dirt bike helmets. Shoei VFX-W is one of the lightest motocross helmet you could find in 2017. This can not really be achieved without using the very best materials that there are, materials competently employed in their patented AIM+ system (Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus),which has made their helmets one of the best on the market right now.

:smirk:

Shoei is so assured in their technology that their helmets come with an uncommonly long guarantee. You can get a 7-year guarantee that starts on the date the helmet was manufactured or you get can a 5-year guarantee starting from the moment you bought your helmet. This is a super cool thing that they do. Many riders I know have had Shoei helmets throughout their careers and none of them have needed to use the guarantee.

Typical Shoie quality. But like I was saying, not trying to turn this into a Big Dick argument; buy whatever helmet fits your budget and your needs. :D

https://motocrossadvice.com/dirt-bike-gear/best-dirt-bike-helmets/

Very happy with my Moto9, enough so that I bought one for my son too.

I have a narrowish head, as mentioned above, a good fitting helmet is key, helmets all fit different.  Go try some on.

AIROH AVIATOR 2.3 !!!!!    smallest, lightest and strongest.   No need for all the protection gimmicks that the other brands advertise. 

I've said this before, and it really bothers me.  If a helmet is smaller and lighter then the weight reduction has to come from somewhere.  They are not making the padding or the shell out of some rare unobtanium, so it only follows that lighter and smaller means less protection.  No one has disproven this premise.

I've said this before, and it really bothers me.  If a helmet is smaller and lighter then the weight reduction has to come from somewhere.  They are not making the padding or the shell out of some rare unobtanium, so it only follows that lighter and smaller means less protection.  No one has disproven this premise.

Lack of evidence is not evidence. I do see where you're coming from though.

To the OP: Buy what fits best. Modern helmets are all very good, as long as you steer clear of suspect chinesium I'd say you'd be hard pressed to go wrong between either bell or leatt.

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

But, I think we can agree that two materials can have drastically different weights and strength characteristics. What's more resistant to penetration: 1/8" of fiberglass or 1/8" of CF? Which is lighter for the same dimensions of material? Also, what's easier to control and stop in a crash: more or less weight?

Of course, smaller is more an issue b/c when you reduce the gap between the shell and head, there is simply less space (distance) to absorb impact, But, then we get into materials again. Say expanded polystyrene vs. koroyd tubes. Is is possible that less (shorter) koroyd material can equal or exceed the ability of thicker EPS in its ability to absorb impact?

This issue can't simply be summed up by helmet weight or size. And, I've not even gotten into how a helmet's shape affect its ability to protect. Lots of engineering here that many, including me don't fully understand or know about. 

Of course, then we have to factor in that safety isn't the only consideration. Mfrs have to consider suitability for the application. I bet they could improve a helmets safety, but if it interferes with the rider, likely not a reasonable trade off.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 7:27 PM, SAMCRF35 said:

In the Market for a new helmet cant decide on bell or leatt. 

Rocky mountain has them both pretty cheap. Just seeing what everyone has to say about them.

Or if there is another brand someone likes just not super cheap ones

Thanks 

Which Bell? Which Leatt?

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Which Bell? Which Leatt?

I'm not totally sure how this post came back up its over a year old.

I went with a TLD helmet and love it, I went and tried on helmets and the TLD fit me best.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I have a Leatt GPX 4.5. It's nice, I like it. It has their "turbine" MIPs. But I feel like my chin is sticking out the bottom when it's comfortable around my head. The visor doesn't go low enough to block sun.

For track I use a Just1 J12. Nice, light helmet, but the foam layer is thin. I might stop using it and get a Bell for track.