How do you turn the WR250R into a more of an Enduro bike?

For serious off-road, a full suspension rebuild/upgrade is the place to start.  Change of tires, skid plate, hand guards, regearing would be next.

That is 47 or 48 tooth rear.  Opening up the intake and exhaust and adding a programmer will give you a bit more top end, but removing the EXUP system on the stock exhaust will loose some low rpm torque.  Mixed reviews on the exhaust changes - it's gonna cost you at least $800 USD, and not a whole bunch of improvement.  If you can buy a used setup for half that price, it may be worth it, IMO.

What do you feel it is lacking now for enduro use?  Lack of power?  Lack of suspension control?  Handling issues?

The big challenge is the weight.  And there isn't a big difference you can make there.

For power, do some searches on wr250r dyno chart.  Adding a full exhaust and a tuner gains I've seen gains as low as 1 HP and as great as 3 HP, pretty sad for that amount of money.

A big bore kit gets bigger gains, there is a Yamaha kit for this.

So if you start adding this up, it is a lot easier to sell it and get something like a YZ250FX.  But again, not sure what you are looking for.  Can't you get the WR250F street legal in Australia ?  That might be a good way to go if you are looking for a street legal bike.

What's your definition of enduro? Here's how I ride mine with stock suspension and stock engine/exhaust etc. 47 tooth rear sprocket. Perfectly fine and lots of fun.

• Like 1

Factory gears are 13/43, which definitely struggle in low-speed higher-torque off-road riding conditions.  13/49 or 13/51 will feel noticeably more torquey at lower RPMs in those conditions, but of course your top end highway speed will drop.  You'll also need a longer chain to fit the larger diameter rear sprocket.

IMHO you can't do much with the stock shock settings. Even when set to maximum (3 clicks from fully closed) the rebound damping valving is awful.  But you can try the settings below for starters.  They definitely improved the ride for me from stock setup, but in the end I invested in suspension upgrades with Race Tech valving and springs more appropriate for my 240 lb. fully-geared weight.

Here's what initially provided some relief for me with the stock suspension:
- Increased the rear shock rebound dampening to maximum (3 clicks out).
- Left the compression dampening at the stock midpoint setting (10 clicks out). This helped keep the rear tire hooked up.
- Increased the fork compression dampening to near maximum (1 click out) to keep the front from diving when hitting rocks and roots.
- Decreased the fork rebound dampening to lightest setting (15 clicks out) to get the head back up ASAP after diving.

It's still a 300 lb bike, which is about 50 lbs or more heavier than a real enduro bike, but with proper suspension, gearing, and tires it's a blast to ride offroad!

Edited by wwguy
  • Like 1

I had an 09 WR250R, awesome looking bike. I installed all the enduro goodies, including the FMF pipe & programmer.

I bought it used, in mint condition......WITHOUT riding it first. When I finally rode it in the woods,

& couldn't lift the front wheel without popping the clutch,  I was pretty disappointed. My fault, I guess since it

looked so good,  I expected performance to match. And we do ride hard, so I was :rant:

Needless to say, I sold it soon after, & bought a 2012 WR450F, that is actually lighter, & makes gobs more power. :ride:

A big bore kit will def help, along with supporting mods, but it sounds like you want more than this bike can do.

20130616_174622 (1).jpg

Yeah i dont want to sell it yet because its such a great bike. I just want to do some mods to get it to its full offroad potential. The wr250r most likely it will never be made again by the sounds of it since yamaha stopped manaafacturing from this year on so i want to keep it and if i had to i would just bye another bike

Sent from my SM-G955F using ThumperTalk mobile app

On 8/18/2017 at 11:42 PM, BluePill said:

That is 47 or 48 tooth rear.  Opening up the intake and exhaust and adding a programmer will give you a bit more top end, but removing the EXUP system on the stock exhaust will loose some low rpm torque.  Mixed reviews on the exhaust changes - it's gonna cost you at least $800 USD, and not a whole bunch of improvement.  If you can buy a used setup for half that price, it may be worth it, IMO.

I beg to differ brother!  The $850 I spent for the full exhaust mod was worth every penny. Not make much difference????  Really???

its a whole new motorcycle in my book.

more power, more torque, better throttle response, less weight, and flat tracker sound.  Wow!

30 minutes ago, onesaintsfan said:

I beg to differ brother!  The $850 I spent for the full exhaust mod was worth every penny. Not make much difference????  Really???

its a whole new motorcycle in my book.

more power, more torque, better throttle response, less weight, and flat tracker sound.  Wow!

My 2015 with Yoshi pipe, dyno tuned PCV system, re-gearing, and S/M wheels is indeed a total blast ON THE STREET.  Not an enduro bike by any means, though.

hTvpS8m.jpg

Edited by BluePill
  • Like 1