Warped air filter boot?

When I was changing my air filter I noticed the rubber air boot was warped. I am afraid the air filter will not be able to seat flush and will let air bypass the filter. Has anyone experienced this?

Its a 2017 ktm 300xc with a lectron carb. I am wondering if the pressure from having a slightly longer than stock carb caused the boot to warp or if this is a common problem.

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yes it's common with the Lectron. You can get the KTM XC-W or Husky TE intake manifold which is a bit shorter that helps this problem. You probably are passing dirt into the intake if the filter can't sit flat. Best to fix it asap. 

• Like 3

Really?   Super glue our air boot?  My experience with CA on flexible materials is not good long term. 

It's only dirt that'll get in right?

I thought Lectron was going to make a short bodied version.   ?

32 minutes ago, seer said:

Really?   Super glue our air boot?  My experience with CA on flexible materials is not good long term. 

The main reason to cut the air filter is so it doesn't block the vent manifold (scoop) located at the top of the venturi. Super glue bonds rubber just like it was never a hole in it. 

On 8/20/2017 at 11:17 PM, seer said:

I could not believe the first time in industry when a supplier asked me to CA (superglue) rubber "O"rings to the right size. Later it was "O"ring conveyor belts subjected to tension. This said, I am with you Seer, don't glue the cracks, get a new boot. Keep the dirt out...

2 hours ago, 06springfield said:

Well I tried glueing my airboot to the airbox it did not hold. I used jb epoxy for plastic. 20170901_173239.jpg20170901_173201.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app

You could have used Shoe Goo to hold them together. You just have to make sure both parts are clean and free of all oils. After you have cleaned both parts coat the parts you want to glue together. Once they are together, clamp or use duct tape to hold them in place. After 24 hours take off the clamp or tape. It will never come apart again.

1 hour ago, farmboybunk said:

I did on my 2017 XC 300 when I installed my Lectron.

Good to know. Thanks.