I think I smoked the slush box

Truck is an 04.5 dodge with a cummins. I left the house with my toyhauler and the trans kept upshifting too high. Even in tow mode. Trans only hit 195 degrees. Hit a steep hill really slow and it felt like it was slipping really bad. Turned around to head home and it was sitting pretty eraticly. It has plenty of fluid. SMelled like very hot trans fluid. Unhooked trailer and went for beer. No issues at all. I have never toasted a trans but dang that felt weird. The trans would shift so eraticly I was not going to hit the highway with it. Fluid smelled a little funky and was bubbly and brown. It has been awhile since I changed fluid and filter. Does this sound like a typical trans failure. Truck has a very light tune of a superchips and boost cooler. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-G920V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Sounds like it got hot. I was told that over filling was a cause for a lot of trans failures. So much so that manufactures removed dipsticks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Truck is an 04.5 dodge with a cummins. I left the house with my toyhauler and the trans kept upshifting too high. Even in tow mode. Trans only hit 195 degrees. Hit a steep hill really slow and it felt like it was slipping really bad. Turned around to head home and it was sitting pretty eraticly. It has plenty of fluid. SMelled like very hot trans fluid. Unhooked trailer and went for beer. No issues at all. I have never toasted a trans but dang that felt weird. The trans would shift so eraticly I was not going to hit the highway with it. Fluid smelled a little funky and was bubbly and brown. It has been awhile since I changed fluid and filter. Does this sound like a typical trans failure. Truck has a very light tune of a superchips and boost cooler. Thanks for any input.

Transmission oil on your 48re goes completely bad in 12 months or 12k miles. Service it, tighten up your bands, maybe swap out your shift servo if it continues to shuttle shift on you. You'll know if its trashed when you drain it if its full of clutch material. I'm sure there's more than one of us on this forum who've burned up multiple 48res. 195 is not gonna do anything to it, but old fluid is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

A buddy of mine with a Dodge diesel did exactly what Heavy said. He has 200k on his truck and it starting slipping on him. He went to a transmission shop to ask for a quote and the guy told him to try the above. So, he installed a new servo or maybe some solenoids, tightened the bands and it has been holding up fine with no issues for over a year. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2017 at 5:38 AM, dirtbeater said:

Fix the trans with a trade20170823_170012.jpg

Let me know how it tows. I'm using an 8.1L Suburban to pull around a 9,000 lbs 20' toyhauler. It does OK until I hit the mountains plus I really don't care for the 7 mpg. It also has a ton of miles.

The 8.1 is a bit more torque but it's also a 4 speed. 

• Like 1

Let me know how it tows. I'm using an 8.1L Suburban to pull around a 9,000 lbs 20' toyhauler. It does OK until I hit the mountains plus I really don't care for the 7 mpg. It also has a ton of miles.

So far with commuting I am at about 13.5-14 mpg. I will let know about towing.

• Like 2

My th is 22' and fairly loaded. I would guess about 10 to 12k lbs. I got 7mpg on the way home. I got 14mpg with my cummins. It pulled really well. Could really not even tell it was there.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dirtbeater said:

My th is 22' and fairly loaded. I would guess about 10 to 12k lbs. I got 7mpg on the way home. I got 14mpg with my cummins. It pulled really well. Could really not even tell it was there.

Thanks. 

I was kind of wanting to get away from that and the 4,000+ RPM pulling hills. My guess is with the 6 speed it will pull a bit better than the 8.1 with the 4 speed though.

Decisions, decisions. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks. 
I was kind of wanting to get away from that and the 4,000+ RPM pulling hills. My guess is with the 6 speed it will pull a bit better than the 8.1 with the 4 speed though.
Decisions, decisions.  

I was doing 60mph most the time. Saw 4500 rpm. It did sort of hold gears going down hill. I would say it actually pulled better than My cummins but less than half the mileage.

6 minutes ago, dirtbeater said:

I was doing 60mph most the time. Saw 4500 rpm. It did sort of hold gears going down hill. I would say it actually pulled better than My cummins but less than half the mileage.

Oh boy, I'd really be in trouble, I'll run 70 or 75 mph. Sounds like the Suburban might actually do a bit better on mileage. ;) 

M only real concern with the Cummins is all the new emissions equipment. I had an old 12 valve that was the most bulletproof diesel ever made. Now it's all high pressure common rail and ultra complicated emissions systems. 

Oh boy, I'd really be in trouble, I'll run 70 or 75 mph. Sounds like the Suburban might actually do a bit better on mileage.  
M only real concern with the Cummins is all the new emissions equipment. I had an old 12 valve that was the most bulletproof diesel ever made. Now it's all high pressure common rail and ultra complicated emissions systems. 

Mine doesn't have any emissions system? It must've fallen off.
  • Like 1

I think the DEF system is much more reliable than the earlier disaster. Brought back a fair bit of the mileage too. Hate to delete while it's under warranty.

• Like 1

Pull the pan, it will probably look terrible in there. Most likely you are information an overhaul with a graveyard duty converter. Just do it and get it over with.

Haha, didn't proof read. In for a overhaul with a heavy duty converter.