DMV

hello..

By chance does anyone know how long a dirt bike has to be not registered before it's out of dmv's system in ca.?

I'm asking because I bought a 02 kx250 for my nephew and the registration was up in 2011 and I only have a bill of sale from the owner before the guy I got it from.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using ThumperTalk mobile app

10 hours ago, Wessco said:

hello..

By chance does anyone know how long a dirt bike has to be not registered before it's out of dmv's system in ca.?

I'm asking because I bought a 02 kx250 for my nephew and the registration was up in 2011 and I only have a bill of sale from the owner before the guy I got it from.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using ThumperTalk mobile app

Some DMV say 8 years, some say 12.

Without proof of previous ownership, like old registration paperwork, you might be in for some issues.........

• Like 1

It is in the system, used to be 4 years but know I think it is 8 years but if the DMV runs the serial even if it is just an inquire it resets it.

Bill of sale? good luck you will need to contact the last registered owner and have the sign the lost pink slip, but they could also just take the bike from as they are still the owner unless they had filedl out a transfer with the DMV.

Golden lesson for buying off craigslist:  NO PINK NO SALE  If the seller does not have the pink why are they selling a bike they do not legally own?

I will never buy a bike without getting the pink and verify the vin of the bike matches the pink.  The potential hassle is not worth it.

• Like 1