DRZ400 Thumb throttle.. I know I know, ? for those that have done it.

Before I get all the hate, I know to most this idea would be dumb and almost dangerous. Most will say just get used to the throttle. Well I have been riding atvs for around 15 years and thats a hard habit to break. I recently bought a DRZ 400 and like the bike minus the throttle. I have had dirt bikes and street bikes in the past and always wanted to try a thumb throttle on the dirt bikes. I finally decided after about a year of trying to become comfortable on the bike, to change over to thumb. I don't get to ride as often as I would like so getting used to a twist isn't as easy as I would like, and I feel SOO much more comfortable on a thumb. My question is.

For those that have done it, What throttle did you use? Does it matter? What cable do I need and is there anything other than cable and throttle needed for the job? Thanks in advance,

Don't know anybody that has done it although it has been talked about.  You are going to have to fab up your own system.  Probably want to look at the Suzuki LTZ400 for the throttle control components.  I assume it is just a single cable system so you would need the cable and throttle control.  May need to have a cable custom made to get the length you need.

OK you have suffered the haters.  I think it is a bad idea too but you will not know until you try it.  I think you will find a motorcycle is more responsive than a heavier quad with an automatic transmission.  You obviously have already thought about it so try it and report your result.

On my street bike I use a "throttle rocker".  It is a paddle that clips to the twist grip so the heal of the hand will help hold the throttle in a set position.  I can if I want take my hand off the throttle and just use a finger on the paddle to maintain speed.  There is very little throttle control. It just allows short term change of hand position. I would not do it any time other than straight ahead to maintain speed. That is my only experience with anything close to a thumb throttle.

• Like 1

I'm exactly opposite of this , the first thing I do with any quad I buy is rip that retarded thumb throttle off and put on a twist .  The day I picked up my KTM 525XC I picked up a throttle for their EXC bike and put it on that night  . I probably have 4 or 5 thumb setups here if you want one , maybe have the one from the LTZ I had way back. I can maybe see one as an alternative for long rides to change which muscles have to hold the throttle steady , but.....

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

I actually come from both heavy 4x4s and lightweight race quads both 2 and 4 stroke. I also have ridden both 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes and all kinds of street bikes but I still prefer the control of a thumb off road. Does it make me a moron? To some of you lesser atv experienced people maybe but who cares its all about preference. I like blue DRZs Im sure others like yellow haha. All in good fun I understand the idea is different than most. I had a outlander 800r with the dual gasser... that thing got me into trouble. That was the first thing to go. Sometimes the twist would lock out so you only used the thumb. Other times the lock would come loose and you would grab on for the thumb and get both throttles... scary scary stuff. Not a good idea if you ask me.

• 5 years later...