Fork Spring Weight for 149lbs/67kg Rider?

As part of the rebuild and upgrade to the suspension on my 2007 WR450, I have installed the front Racetech Gold Valve kit, I'm fitting new seals and also putting in the correct fork springs and rear shock spring for my weight. The bike had 46 front fork springs and 5.5 rear spring.

I used the Racetech calculator and it suggested either 41 or 43 front fork springs depending on how I class my riding ability as either Novice or Intermediate. It also suggested 5.1 or 5.2 rear spring depending on ability. I am not really sure how I would class my ability. I was therefore going to go for 42 front springs as it is the closest and between the two suggested.

I phoned K-tech to see what they thought would be the correct weight springs for me and they suggested 40 front springs and a 4.75 rear spring. They say these values are correct for someone up to 70kg without gear. So now I am a little unsure of what to go for and would welcome any opinions especially from those who are in my weight category.

I weigh 67kg (149lbs) without gear, 6'1" height, riding is enduro.

Edited by Snow Drift

Thanks, I think there was a misunderstanding when I was on the phone to K-tech the first time round as I called them again and they said that 42 front fork springs are correct for someone up to 70kgs without gear.

Snow

Your stock OE Yam springs are prob about this rate anyway

My stock OE yam springs, although stated by Yam to be 0.46 actually measured 0.41. My local suspension shop told me Yam WR's are notorious for have under rate fork springs and wasn't surprised when they measured low.

Just trying to save you some cash, but unless you can get them measured accurately you won't actually know if they are stated by Yamaha @ 0.46 or not. If you do buy some K-tech's or Race Tech springs of 0.42 you will at least know where you are if they still feel wrong and know which way to go ie up or down in strength

Unfortunately the springs in the bike seem to be aftermarket 46 springs (most likely K-tech as the rear spring is a K-tech 55). The original Yamaha springs didn't come with the bike.

I have now fitted K-tech 42 front springs and bought a K-tech 4.75 rear spring.

• Like 1

At least you can sell the k-tech you take out, on ebay as they value which will help offset cost of the new ones