Hello all, i just recently purchased my first dirk bike! I bought a 2007 KTM xcf-w, and boy does she run like a dream!

Theres just one problem, i have a small oil leak. ive located where the leak is and i believe its just a gasket thats leaking and needs redone. However, there are wires running in where the leak is happening so i am maybe thinking the leak is caused by the wires allowing oil to seep by? I added a picture so maybe some of you mechanics out there can point me in the right direction. I am going to order a whole gasket kit for my bike unless someone thinks it could be something else entirely.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and your time!

20170814_180628.jpg

but there's no oil in that space for the ignition and balancer. See if any oil or premix or spooge is dripping onto that spot.

• Like 1

Pretty sure jaguar57 is correct, it seems to be coming above the ignition cover. Its gotten worse over the week ive had the bike so time to wrench on ol girl before anymore rides

So I got her all cleaned up and I believe I pinpointed the leak. I first thought it was the ignition cover leaking, then thought it was just chain lube, then got her all clean with an oil change and air filter change and rode for 30ish minutes. Got off and found the area in the picture to be where the oil was heaviest.20170823_145623.thumb.jpg.a70fd0a4a5f2b5e7b211e1d5556a5c18.jpg Next step is to take the bike into a shop and have them look at it but if someone on here can tell me anything that'd be greatly appreciated. 

(Tried to post multiple pics so you can tell where it's at)

20170823_145609.jpg

20170823_145616.jpg

20170823_145631.jpg

Update: in case anyone else experiences the same situation, I took my bike to a local mechanic and he gave me a few minutes of his time. I found out the hose is an engine breather hose that lets the engine oil breath and if over filled let's the excess out. Was told that a small amount of oil, especially at higher speeds and revs, is common and means it's working properly. However in my case, anytime I got over 45mph or really got on the gas I could see oil drizzling out, alot. The local mechanic told me about the only thing he could think of is the top end needing redone. 

Took his advice and after some research decided to order up everything I need for the new top end and am going to try to tackle the endeavour by myself. If you have redone a top end on an 07-10 ktm four stroke please let me know what was difficult, what you learned not to do and what to do and any pointers. Cheers

20170826_110649.jpg

IMG_20170818_195839_056.jpg

Yes, that is the oil breather hose and it should be attached to the carb intake manifold.  The last thing you want to do is leave the hose just dangling.  Many of us with XCF-W's extend the breather hose to make a loop in, it then attach to the intake manifold fitting.  This loop helps keep oil in the engine where it belongs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas_M said:

Yes, that is the oil breather hose and it should be attached to the carb intake manifold.  The last thing you want to do is leave the hose just dangling.  Many of us with XCF-W's extend the breather hose to make a loop in, it then attach to the intake manifold fitting.  This loop helps keep oil in the engine where it belongs. 

When I went to the local shop we looked and on some models(mine Included) there's a plug where the hose would go in. And I believe it's the newer models that have the hose going into the manifold, on my 07 there isn't a spot that I saw

I believe this is where you're saying the hose needs to be attached but as you can see there's a bolt/plug where it goes. When I look online at schematics that plug is part of it too so I don't understand, can I take the plug out and run the hose into there and wallah problem solved or is there a reason behind plugging that spot and having the hose run elsewhere?

20170828_152444.png

20 hours ago, MountainGahwd said:

I believe this is where you're saying the hose needs to be attached but as you can see there's a bolt/plug where it goes. When I look online at schematics that plug is part of it too so I don't understand, can I take the plug out and run the hose into there and wallah problem solved or is there a reason behind plugging that spot and having the hose run elsewhere?

20170828_152444.png

There should be an OEM spigot screwed in there for hose attachment.  Someone replaced the spigot with a short bolt.  

Quick update: Redid top end and she runs like a brand new bike, no leaks from the old breather hose anymore. Best $250 ill ever invest into the bike(ProX top end gasket kit and piston head), highly recommend doing a top end yourself if youre trying to save money. Buy the service manual, a 12 pack, some snacks and ask a buddy for a hand one afternoon. Do your research before hand and ask questions. Cheers!