Maintenance logging

I just keep a running log in a text file. Excel is fine too. In all the years of doing it, no one ever wanted the logs. For me, they mostly provide jetting info.

I keep all my suspension settings in there too. I refer to jetting and suspension notes constantly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 5

Hour meter (obviously) and a book cus I find its easier to throw in my gear bag if I want to use for say a 4 or 5 day dirt bike/camping trip.

Yes my hand writing sucks and yes some of these rides are short ?

DSCF0299.1.jpg.fcc303fab2bee5069c872a37dad4e022.jpg

Otherwise it took me a few minutes to make one up in Excel (or OpenOffice for free) if you want to try it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_yCfNdmwC_hd3pQY1MzbXg5M1k/view?usp=sharing

599878eb1138a_OpenOfficeLog.jpg.fdaa73a667df89e2f24fe1b5d438014f.jpg

• Like 2

I utilize a white board in the garage for the 3 bikes we currently own. I also save every receipt however they have never been a factor when a bike has been sold. The problem with electronic records on a phone or tablet is they can get lost if the device gets damaged/lost/stolen. I do use my phone for short term things but the white board that stays in the garage is handy. I realize the white board could get erased but it's never happened in the 7 years I've used it.

Edited by Dklassen
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

I keep all my suspension settings in there too. I refer to jetting and suspension notes constantly.

Ya I keep those at the back of the book along with stuff I plan on doing vs actually doing in a given year.

59987c9950167_20170819_1053491.jpg.1d52a37c6119b47fda87084537a481e1.jpg

Finally rebuilt my suspension busing/bearings last winter and should have done them in 2013 or sooner ?

59987c9aaed77_20170819_1054341.jpg.dd86a1673be631aa4697b7a6b8cf10fb.jpg

All this is making me feel far more anal than I actually am ?

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

I utilize a white board in the garage for the 3 bikes we currently own. I also save every receipt however they have never been a factor when a bike has been sold. The problem with electronic records on a phone or tablet is they can get lost if the device gets damaged/lost/stolen. I do use my phone for short term things but the white board that stays in the garage is handy. I realize the white board could get erased but it's never happened in the 7 years I've used it.

Ya when dudes ask me if I want to sell my 2005 bike when its clean, I've show them my maintenance book etc and point out what needs to be done and I say IF I was to sell would you give me $3500 and they all say yes. Then I actually paid $2500 for it in 2010 and have a fair bit of $$$$ into but IMO if you ever plan on selling the bike and you can show you've taken care of it, you can depend top $$$$.

Obviously its got to be running etc etc etc

Edited by filterx
  • Like 3

There is an app for everything.  I use Moto Minder.  Its nice cause you can set intervals and the app will remind you when a particular item needs to be attended to.  I've got 5 bikes to take care of and the app makes it a lot easier to keep on top of everything.

On August 20, 2017 at 5:36 AM, XRalways said:

$2 notebook. No need to reinvent the wheel here

Exactly. I use yellow sheets of binder paper to document rides (date, mileage and location) and white bider paper to document any maintenance.

• Like 1

Created folders for each bike that I put pics documents etc in,  one is a simple notepad file titled maintenance. I'm usually ahead of the 'book' intervals so don't sweat it too much. Hours/ miles don't know that you just totally overheated everything and abused the clutch for 5 hours.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, Dklassen said:

I use a white board also, but it is getting full and messy.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:39 PM, HeavyRotation said:

A spiral notebook.

Do the same thing... Write down any work done, any parts replaced, whether its due to wear and tear of because i did something stupid and broke something that needed to be replaced... 

I would love to do it via computer, but I don't keep the shop heated during the winter so I am not sure a computer could survive.  I don't like the lap tops or palms. Everything is too small.

Now that hard drives can be solid state, building a desktop machine for the shop may work out.  I have had a monitor in the shop for the last two year connected to a DVD player that plays music from a usb flash stick.  They have survived the winters ok.  I would still need to figure out a mouse and keyboard that will survive the harsh, dirty, greasy environment.

FYI: A good free software is Apache OpenOffice.  Among many other things, it has a spreadsheet and word processor that act just like Microsoft Office Excel and Word.

• Like 1

Excel spread sheet. Has tabs for riding log, suspension settings, torque specs I use the most often (printed and hung on wall in garage), various intervals for routine maintenance, etc.  I keep a print out of the suspension adjustments tab in the tool box I take to the track. Any track side adjustments are eventually transferred back into excel.

Excel can do what ever you want. An app is what it is.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:36 AM, gitenby said:

What do you guys use to track your maintenance? I was thinking of transferring my paper records over to an Excel document then I started looking at Apps.