Fork Savers with Lowered Suspension

Hey All,

I have a trip coming up that will have my '04 WR250F logging more trailer time than usual, and I want to get a new fork brace that'll fit right. I bought this model a few years ago and got some use out of it, but it is a real PITA to jam it in between my front tire & fender, and doesn't really fit because I have the suspension lowered a few inches with a lowering link. There must be others out there that've run into the same issue. Any suggestions for an alternate product/workaround welcomed!

Thanks.

Edited by sundevil67
corrected wrong name of product

I just found a potential solution..didn't know there were adjustable versions out there, but came across this product at Amazon just now: Pit Posse PP2860 MotoCross Dirt Bike Adjustable Fork Support Brace Suspension Saver.

There aren't any reviews that mention a bike similar to mine though...anyone have any experience with one of these or something similar? I guess $24 isn't much of a gamble either way....  

Fork braces are a waste of time anyways anyone who tells you you wear out your seals by compressing the suspension is trying to sell you a fancy stick to put between your tire and fender. If you must have your forks braced to sleep at night you can cut a 2x4 to whatever length you want.

• Like 8

^^^^ Yupper. Fork braces are a marketing ploy and do nothing. They do nothing to 'save springs and seals' - Total BS.

With tie downs, you have more than just a tire to provide clamping force. If the brace pops out, your bike could come loose.

• Like 1

I don't used one but I do have air bleeders on my forks. When I gently racket down the tie downs, I release the air.

IMO if the front wheel is pushed up against something and the tie downs are mounted at the right angle to pull the bike forward, you do not have to reef the tie downs to much.

• Like 2

Never used them ever in 40 years and have seen any damaging effects. If your straps are properly placed an inch or two of pull will hold it up right fine as long as front tire doesn't turn, if that happens your screwed no-matter what you do

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 6:12 PM, William1 said:

^^^^ Yupper. Fork braces are a marketing ploy and do nothing. They do nothing to 'save springs and seals' - Total BS.

With tie downs, you have more than just a tire to provide clamping force. If the brace pops out, your bike could come loose.

^This. :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

Never used them ever in 40 years and have seen any damaging effects. If your straps are properly placed an inch or two of pull will hold it up right fine as long as front tire doesn't turn, if that happens your screwed no-matter what you do

^ And this. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input everyone. I never really worried much about it until I took a 1200 mile road trip and left the bike strapped down with the suspension compressed & got scolded by a mechanic who knows a lot more than I do & in actuality would have more to gain by letting me mess up my forks....I don't recall the specifics, but I think it had something to do with my lowering link & how I already have somewhat limited travel. I never really pondered it a whole lot since it was a cheap thing to pick up, and now that I'm preparing for another long road trip I figured I would get one that actually fits, but if y'all are telling me it's a bulls!t accessory I don't need, I'll hold off and just ask the dude that's going to do some work on the bike for me to remind me of why he suggested one in the first place. Thanks again for the responses.

I use one for stability. It prevents forks from compressing over bumps, in turn preventing straps from becoming loose over said bump. If you don't want to use the fork saver, use straps with carabiner-type hooks.

Edited by Cartoscro

Hey All,

I just wanted to add to this thread after having my bike maintained by my new mechanic....turns out my fork seals were blown; the most likely culprit being the extended time tied down to the trailer without one of these to lighten the load! I think I'll keep using it just in case!

I am guessing most likely being dirt on the tubes getting pushed up in the seals from not using seal savers.  As long as you continue to have others do your own fork work, you will be victim to marketing fads.  If you changed your own seals you could see all of the crud built up behind the seal lip.  Most blown seals are not even blown, they just leak because there is dirt caught between the seal and the tube. 

sealsaver.jpg

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, sundevil67 said:

Hey All,

I just wanted to add to this thread after having my bike maintained by my new mechanic....turns out my fork seals were blown; the most likely culprit being the extended time tied down to the trailer without one of these to lighten the load! I think I'll keep using it just in case!

Not possible. Think about what riding does. Being stationary is nothing compared to that. Seals go from dirt and a lack of regular cleaning of the seals.

• Like 3

I went riding 9 days ago.  Upon getting home wasn't feeling well.  Left the bikes tied down in the truck.  Just got around to unloading them nine days later.  No leaks drips or anything.  I use two straps per bike on the bars.  I compress about a third of the suspension, I find letting the suspension work a bit is better than really cranking them down.  As soon as we hit any rough rode I usually have to wait for friends who use these supports as they inevitably vibrate out and shit falls over.

5 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

Hey All,

Find a real tech to get work/advice from, your new/current guy has his head buried in the sand.

• Like 1

I prefer to spend the time earning money to pay for more toys instead of wrenching on the bike myself. Breaking my back in a hot-ass garage just isn't my idea of a good time, or the best way to spend my day off. Sure, it makes good sense for every rider to learn enough about basic maintenance so that simple trailside repairs don't ruin your day or cause you to sleep in the desert, but even if I was totally confident in my skills & had all the right tools, I'd still hire someone else to make sure my bike is 100% safe & running tip-top before I venture out into the wilderness for a multi-day ride.

If that makes me less cool in the eyes of a some random dudes on an Internet forum, well, I guess I'll just have to try and live with that. I'll be sure to tell my mechanic that he ought to read more internet forums before working on my bike again so he can get up to speed.

On 10/23/2017 at 2:36 PM, wielywilly-g said:

As long as you continue to have others do your own fork work, you will be victim to marketing fads.  If you changed your own seals you could see all of the crud built up behind the seal lip. 

I use a small fork brace on my wife's bike. But only because the suspension does not load up enough to keep the strap in place (that is, I'm afraid a big bump would knock the bike loose).

It's the MSR Mini Fork Support and it's meant for the klx140l/ttr125 (7.5 to 11 inches of travel).