86xr600r no spark

so I bought a 1986 xr600r a few months back. Third owner of it now. the bike ran for a good month or two, but then shit hit the fan. it started just fine but when i went to ride it it would randomly die. i would let it sit for a bit thinking that it was overheating then it would turn start again. that went on for about a week. then it just wouldn't start at all, no spark. so i took it into the shop, not being skilled with wiring. they charged me 300 buck to fix a couple bad wire and connections. so i picked it up and got it home. started it a couple times because i was to busy to ride but wanted the keep it alive. then same shit. no spark again. so this time i was like &%$#@! that I'm not paying to have them fix a couple bad wires again. so i checked the connections they looked good i replaced the ignition coil and the rectifier because they were giving me bad readings, and now I'm stuck because the shop said the stator was the first thing they checked and it was fine so what am i missing. Please help!!!!!

Given I am "old" X 85 XR600R owner, which is pretty indentical to your 86, my experience it is the stator.

Typical Honda stator issues are runs fine when cold, once warmed up runs like crap, or just dies. 

As I remember, I had to replace my stator with 1993+ version, ran like a champ until I sold her. 

This is typical of the whole XR line pre 1993. Still to this day funnest bike I ever had, if I had the

strength when I was younger, I would have picked up another, fond memories. 

Michael  

• Like 1

Thanks Micheal i decided to replace the stator because i opened her up and there was like 7 burnt coils. replaced it with a ricky stator and she fired up like she was brand new. just took her out yesterday and shredded up the desert. thanks for the help