Carbon Scoring.....

Pardon the Star Wars pun, but I have a 2006 YZ250 that I'm putting back into fighting shape. And I currently run a pro circuit pipe on it and it looks like there's lots of black carbon build up. Are there pipe shops that get this out? I feel like it's hurting performance. I know shops take out dents but do they remove the carbon too? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Some pour gas into the pipe and set it ablaze to burn carbon out (never tried)

I've tried soaking overnight filled with engine de-greaser but with limited success.

On occasion I've used a cordless drill fitted with various lengths of coat hanger wire

with a small 'L' bent into the end to scrub the insides as it spins.

Of course the L's prong cannot be longer than the pipe's inlet diameter to fit.

Pipe wasn't severely caked up but still managed to get about 2-3 tablespoons of carbon out.

Tips: run the drill as close as possible to the flange of the pipe with little or no exposed wire outside (in case of failure)

Edited by mlatour

The best, and maybe only, way to get that carbon out is with a proper torch.  Like Oxy Acetylene.  Get the carbon burning red hot, then shut off the acetylene and turn the O2 down to a dribble.  The carbon is now the fuel, and will burn out.  It takes a while, but leaves you with a completely sano interior.  Be careful on plated pipes though, as it gets HOT!  Blow out the pipe real well when you're done.