xr250 blown top end

Recently my xr250 locked up on the road.  I tore the engine apart expecting to do a top end rebuild but what I found was worse than I thought it would be.  I think i need a new cylinder head, camshaft cylinder sleeve, piston and piston rod. if im wrong let me know please and also anything else that I would need please let me know.

thanks

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Lack of oil will do that. I lost a Powroll XR218 engine when it lost oil because of a broken case, first to go was the high lift cam and then the metal shavings wore out the cylinder/piston.  Expensive fix. :banghead:

Cams and followers are very susceptible to failure from oil starvation, old oil,  or wrong oil.

Ok what do you think would cause oil starvation like that?  could the oil pump have gone out or somthing?\

thanks for responding

Also I found a 1986 xl250r for cheap.  would the parts be interchangeable somewhat?  Would an engine swap be too hard?

The 86 XL250R engine is based on the 84-85 XR250R engine so that would be the differences compared to your engine. You will also need the twin carb air boot. Don't know how plug compatible the electrics are because Honda made a lot of electrical changes in the mid eighties.
And yes it will easily fit the 84-95 chassis, don't know about the 96-04 chassis.

yea the xr is a 2001.  I was wondering if the cam and cylinder head would swap between the two engines?