Non event but scary

Was riding today and bike/engine shuddered right at the base of the ramp of an MX Step-up jump. Decided not to jump but just throttle down to roll the jump where I then planned on getting off to the side once clear of that area. Bike died completely just before front wheel rolled over the lip leaving the rest of the weight of the bike on the face. Pulled the front brake but did not get on the rear quick enough (don't think it would have helped anyways, bike was in gear and stalled). Bike slid back down the face which was steep. Bike swapped while sliding backwards (I pretty much was expecting that to happen). Managed to use a leg to get the bike down to the ground not quite so ugly but it pitched me to the ground which I felt best because it kept the fall /slide in-line. Then a couple "kinda fast" guys did the jump anyways while this was going on! The "truely fast" guys would have not done that if you know what I mean. Some people are idiots. Another really good rider got very blatantly taken out but one of the "kinda fast" guys just after my little event. Not many riders so they did an all-big-bike instead of the Vet/Beg and Int/Pro split.

I don't know what was worse - if it cut a bit later going off the face it would have likely been bad or knowing if when the bike swapped going backwards, had I gone out to the one side, I would have surely been hit by someone going all out.

Could not start the bike. Pushed it back to the pits. Looking over the bike I could see condensation in the kill button. Disassembled the kill/mode switch to find water inside. Dried it out and bike starts. I clean the bike using those old self-car wash hoses. I'm careful to not hit spots with too much pressure; test the pressure with my hand to see what is a safe distance to be hitting areas that need a soft touch. Appears I should have been more careful on that area of the handlebar.  Going to wrap that switch for now on before cleaning the bike.

My riding buddy goes, I'll take your bike for a couple test laps. He's been asking since I got the re-valve done. He knew the scoup. I let him take a few laps. Not sure I was being a good friend or a shitty friend. I took it out for a short last moto afterwards.

Woa, great day - I got to drive home.

I think we've all had some sketchy/off days.

But as you said, you got to drive home.

I had a handle bar mount break off on the face of a tall table top as I was leaving the face.

The handle bars went completely 90 degrees and the front wheel stayed pointing straight ahead.  I somehow landed the jump with the bars inline with the bike, coasted to the side of the track, and went home.

• Like 2

THAT is sketchy! Did the mount itself snap or the bolt/s?

Always a good thing to go home, I dread those expensive ambulance rides and telling the girlfriend I won't be home for awhile :cripple:

31 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

THAT is sketchy! Did the mount itself snap or the bolt/s?

Always a good thing to go home, I dread those expensive ambulance rides and telling the girlfriend I won't be home for awhile :cripple:

The bar mount bolt itself sheared off.  When I was loading the bike that morning, I dropped it in the driveway and it bent the left side bar mount bolt back just a bit.  So I thought no big deal, I'll just take my Texas tooth pic (pry bar) and pry the left side forward just a bit to straighten them.  Apparently between the drop bending the bolt rearward, then me bending it back to straighten it, fractured/weakened it enough that after a few laps, it had had enough.  I'm guessing the bar mount bolts are a little harder than your average malleable steel, and didn't take kindly to sharp bends. 

P.S.  Just tell your girl that you were just having fun, and not riding over your head.  Then inform her you're going to buy a new bike when you heal so it will be safer when you ride. :naughty:

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
spelling
  • Like 2