Forearm Pump Problem

When I was in middle school, I used to ride all the time. Very difficult trails, hours on end. Not once did I have any pump problem.

Fast forward 10 years and I decide I want to bike again. First day out I bump into a friends dad I used to ride with. Having a big ego and all I didn't want to slow down or rest, but I noticed my forearm swelling and losing grip. I ended up whiskey throttling right into a tree....very bad. I sold the bike a month later after one ride because it wrecked my knees.

It's been 2 years and I decide to try again, but not follow experienced riders. First day I go to a track, and same problem. After a lap my forearms are pumped and I'm sooo close to flying off this bike. I took my time though and took long breaks at the truck.

So my question, is it possible to get back to where I used to be? Will this arm pump get better?

Side note: I do body build and am pretty built. 210 lbs 5'10". I don't know if that's making the pump worse.

Squeeze the bike with your legs/knees, 

by sitting 'loose' your arms are doing all the work to keep you on the bike.

41 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Squeeze the bike with your legs/knees, 

by sitting 'loose' your arms are doing all the work to keep you on the bike.

I did focus on trying that, but it still felt like the bike was pulling me.

Riding more will make it better.  I have been using Flexx bars since 2004 and love them.  Even when taking long periods off bike I do not get arm pump any more.  

While you should focus on technique, try working your forearms. Use a hard ball to squeeze the tight parts of your arm, then move your fingers and wrist in the arm you are stretching.
Look up the term "forearm flossing" on YouTube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using ThumperTalk mobile app

This year I've been easing back into motocross after being out of it for a couple of decades.  The first couple of practice sessions arm pump would only let me get a couple of laps in before needing to pull off the track.  I searched up an older post and it said to limit caffeine and nicotine on race days, which has helped.  I also bought the Semics MX training DVDs and changed up my riding position to be more forward in the saddle, nose over the cross bar, and keeping the elbows up during acceleration.  All that with pinching the knees more, keeping a loose upper body position and riding on the balls of my feet have alleviated the arm pump.  

Another suggestion: If you're a serious body builder and do a lot of high-weight low-rep arm curls that might be a muscle fiber thing (fast-twitch power vs slow-twitch endurance fibers).  You might lay off the arm curls for a few weeks and try grip exercise with a tennis ball or hand squeezer instead.