Gear choices

I'm sure this is a commonly debated topic so sorry for asking a revolving question. But, this so far this has been WAY more complicated than I anticipated. 

Boots: I was going to go with a higher end Alpine Stars but then I read about the quality of Gaerne and Forma. Could you go wrong with either of the 3? *Note* I've had ligament and tendon damage to both ankles, they don't work as good as they should so if certain make/model offers better ankle support I'd like to hear about it. 

Helmet: I was going to go with Fox Racing's V3 (with the magnetic visor release.) Haven't heard much about how it performs in keeping your skull intact and concussion prevention. Everybody swears by (it seems) Shoei, Aria and Bell. So from research it has me re-thinking the purchase. 

Ive had plenty of injuries over the years and I move like I'm 60 instead of 30. So let's get back into motocross right! Lol. I'm just trying to get top notch gear, not cool looking gear, gear that will provide the best protection and keep me on a bike and out of a wheel chair. 

Any suggestions is appreciated, I haven't bought gear in 10 years (at least). So I'm all ears. Thanks in advance! 

When i bought my road gear - it was either dainese or alpine stars for leathers - and either bell shoei or arai for helmet - went with the bell - dont trust any of the chinese helmets.

if i was getting another helmet for dirt (have agv at the mo) i would go a fox - damn nice looking helmets and great reviews

I've always worn average to cheap boots. I took a 4 year hiatus due to an injury and coming back I bought SG12's and WOW, I had no idea what I was missing out on. It's like they were painted on. More comfortable than most of the shoes I wear. 

• Like 1

Back in the day I never even heard of Gaerne, probably because I couldn't afford afford them at a younger age. So I'm glad I did a little research and got some feedback off you guys. 

LukeYZ426F-How was the break-in on them? Or were they pretty comfortable and ready to go outta the box? My feet are flat so if they are as comfortable as most shoes that's a huge plus for me. 

Back in the day I never even heard of Gaerne, probably because I couldn't afford afford them at a younger age. So I'm glad I did a little research and got some feedback off you guys. 
LukeYZ426F-How was the break-in on them? Or were they pretty comfortable and ready to go outta the box? My feet are flat so if they are as comfortable as most shoes that's a huge plus for me. 

I have totally flat feet, I use the Superfeet Copper insole and they're perfect. The SGs are really tight around the ankle but after an hour or two they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. The only downside for DS use is that they are not totally water proof, but it takes a good dunking to get your feet wet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the added input, especially the recommendation on the insoles, I'm sure they'll save me quite a few Advil. Looks like I'm sold on the SG 12's. 

I have a Fox V3 which luckily I purchased at 1/2 price discount but, doubtful I'd buy one again.

Fitment (L) is quite tight, an XL was too loose, and it took a long time to 'break in',

after a complete season it's now somewhat more comfortable.

After the first removal of the internal padding liner to wash / dry out,

it never quite fit back into place as when new, some tabs/foam required

trimming otherwise I could feel uncomfortable bulges against my forehead.

Doubt the liner will last as long as my previous cheaper HJC helmet did.

Plastic screws to hold visor are cheap for a non-entry level helmet.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

As for Alpinestars,

Previously had pair of entry level Tech3 but last time decided to 'upgrade' to Tech7 with enduro soles,

again a mistake as those soles wear very quickly. Next boot purchase will have the basic smooth / harder MX soles. 

There may be extra protection built into the 7's but comfort wise I can't feel much difference from the basic Tech 3's.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

As for Alpinestars,
Previously had pair of entry level Tech3 but last time decided to 'upgrade' to Tech7 with enduro soles,
again a mistake as those soles wear very quickly. Next boot purchase will have the basic smooth / harder MX soles. 

There may be extra protection built into the 7's but comfort wise I can't feel much difference from the basic Tech 3's.

I loved my Tech3s for DS, comfy and very waterproof.

I know they don't get a lot of love on this forum, but I recommend Tech-10's.  Insanely comfortable, they've held up great (I have about 50 hours of MX on mine and basically look brand new), and I think they offer the best ankle protection.  I tried the SG-12's, and definitely prefer the Tech-10's.

Helmet wise, I did a lot of research/trying on different brands, and I came away with the Moto-9 Flex. And you'd have a tough time convincing me any helmet offers better protection (or build quality).  

I also looked into Arai and Shoei, but I think a helmet that offers some form rotational impact protection (Flex, SE4, 6D, Leatt, MIPS) is safer.

Edited by jmfreeman535

2 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

I loved my Tech3s for DS, comfy and very waterproof.

Yes my spare pair of old Tech3's are indeed more waterproof then my new Tech7's,

perhaps due to more flexible & breathable materials used in the 'better' boot...

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Boots: SG12's of fox instincts. Both are amazing. SG12's are more durable (soles) but fox does have a company that replaces the sole for FREE. You just have to send them in. I think a lot of ppl don't realize that. 

Helmets: 6D hands down. Then maybe a moto 9 flex or a new arai. 

• Like 1

Boots: I love my SIDI crossfire 2's. They run a tad big so most people order a size smaller. They are super comfortable and provide excellent protection. 

Helmet: I have a Fly F2 Carbon with MIPS. I havent owned many other helmets, but i can say it seems pretty good. Fitment and comfort are top notch for me

Edited by Dconer1
  • Like 1