looking at 00 and an 02

I haven't owned a Honda for a long time now, last one I had I bought new in 1980 CR250R, yup and old guy here.

I'm going to look at a couple Cr's. one is an 2000 and the other is a 2002. I'm hoping to get some ti[s from the experts here on what to look for and what the main differences are.

Thanks

I'd take the 2000. It's more well rounded motor power wise and is less finicky. I have friend with both motor, Mechanical and RC power-valves, and have rebuilt/tuned both styles of motor. 2000 has a Keihn carb which are easier to tune. I personally have an 01 with a Mikuni carb. 01 and up have Mikuni TMX 38 carbs I believe. 

Everyones going to say, "2002 is the newer better frame!" Truth is that it is better but 95% of us can't push the bike hard enough to benifit from it. I like my chasis better than my buddies 04 cr chassis and I've ridden it many times. 

First impressions are big but not everything. See if you can do a compression check, remember wide/open throttle when doing Comp test. You wanna be 180psi or more typically. I'd check wheel bearing and suspension, give them a shake. Airfilter and trans oil, if they are bad then the bike may not be well taken care of. Sprockets and chain, look for arched teeth or dirty ass chain. 

Just a few things to check. 

• Like 1

The 2002 turns better than the earlier model frames. All of the motor "issues" are easily solved. Finding plastics and graphics for the 00-01 era is much harder. That said, if the 2000 were $1,000 less then I'd consider it but if I knew I would keep the bike a long time then I'd get the 2002+.

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

Been riding for 4 + decades & have yet to ride a better chassis / engine combo than the 02-07 CR250r.   Once dialed it is hard to beat...

I've owned the infamous 01 CR250r & it was marginally better than a 97 model owned.  The 1st gen AF 97-99 & 2nd gen AF 00-01 felt very rigid to me with a stiff feel to the chassis that wasn't forgiving.  They also didn't turn well in comparison to the 3rd gen AF 02-07 models.  It's easier to tune an engine then to try fix a chassis that is not forgiving.

OP - My advice to you would be to test ride both if possible.  There will be a noticeable difference if your an experienced rider.    

• Like 2

I'd take the 02 over the 2000. Everything on the engine is easily fixed, and if you were to do the exact same mods to both bikes-the 02 will handle better than the 2000. In all likelyhood you will mod whichever bike you buy, so why not start with the better one to begin with? I own a heavily modded '01 and quite often wish I had started with an 05-07 and done all of the same mods. There are definitely more parts available for the 02+ bikes.

I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the 02, there are a couple in the area that are in good shape. I've read a lot about the engine needing help, can someone point me in the right direction to start looking at what I should do? I've been beating the search engine to death this evening.

25 minutes ago, Dietdewboy said:

I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the 02, there are a couple in the area that are in good shape. I've read a lot about the engine needing help, can someone point me in the right direction to start looking at what I should do? I've been beating the search engine to death this evening.

I had one. Only did minor mods for slow woods riding:

12/50 gearing to slow down too tall first gear

Two base gaskets beneath the cylinder (no difference for me anyway)

Pro Circuit exhaust flange (OEM is brittle)

30 to 32.5 PJ depending on weather, 400 MJ, S7 or S8 nozzle, stock needle on the carburetor

MX Bonz air box seal kit

Stock exhaust and reeds

Pay attention to power valve cable slack

Go ride

Can't speak for 2000 but I did have a '98 it was stupid fast, scary, but didn't handle well in the woods. '97 handled even worse. '02 I had was a great trail bike stock! If you plan to trail ride go for '02 if you want to go silly fast go '00! Good luck with your search!!

The 02 is fast it just needs some fine tuning on the carb.   The 02-03 models owned have more topend power stock vs. stock than the 93, 97 & 01 models owned before.  It's just a smoother deceiving power, but noticeable once you get into the higher rpms.   On the dyno runs I seen in the mx mags the 02 made 2-3 hp more than the 92-01 HPP engine design.  With the right engine mods there is no comparison as the 02-07 case reed engine has a better hop up potential due to the design.  Speaking from experience.   

The 02 is a great bike.  Fix the airboot to airbox seal issues.  clean your airbox out completely (all of the 02+ Honda's I have seen had dirt past the filter).  Send the head to RB designs to have him do his head mod on it, dial in the jetting by either getting a PWK airstriker carb or find someone on here that knows the mikuni, and enjoy the bike. 

• Like 2

Good for you.
I haven't figured out what everyone complains about with the 02/07s. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them when dialled in. I have owned an 01 cr and now a 02 cr250. The trick is if you don't have a clue about jetting, ditch the carb and put a pw air striker in it with a JD jet kit, vforce reeds, fmf fatty and shorty. Do it all at once and it will boggle you mind at what a difference. The 01 was alright but I like the 02 better because of the bottom end and the amazing frame/suspension. Vforce and the fmf makes it rev so much higher. I would love to race a yz or sx to see what happens. Check out my profile picture.

Congrats on your new ride.  Your a bigger guy like me so I'd highly recommend going with heavier springs on the suspension if it's not already set up for your weight.

Good call on the suspension, the guy I bought it from had it setup for a 190 lbs rider. I was 190 once then I turned 16... lol Any tips on setup for a fat guy? 230. Also thinking about getting the Airstriker from JD but I need to learn more about that carb first. I have to say this is the greatest place to just spend time reading, you guys a fantastic help!

22 minutes ago, Dietdewboy said:

Good call on the suspension, the guy I bought it from had it setup for a 190 lbs rider. I was 190 once then I turned 16... lol Any tips on setup for a fat guy? 230. Also thinking about getting the Airstriker from JD but I need to learn more about that carb first. I have to say this is the greatest place to just spend time reading, you guys a fantastic help!

LOL !  I think I weighed 200 lbs. when I was about 20 yrs. old.   I'm now @ 224 lbs. as a vet mx rider & running .48kg's fork springs & a 5.7 kg. in the rear on a set of 07 CR250r Showas. 

As a point of reference, if you decide to try the common mod of lowering the cylinder, setting the squish band, and opening up the squish volume for pump gas Eric Gorr does all that plus return shipping for 125 bucks.  He received it on a Friday, sent it out the very next Monday.  Not trying to trash talk RB but a few people who tried them and stuck with pump gas didn't like the result.  People who ran high octain fuel with a smaller squish volume were quite happy with RBs work from what I've read on the forum.  

I'd change the carb too, not because they can't work ok but because of the issue with the slides chipping and the pieces going through the engine.  Here is The jetting I used: 

The stock pipe is pretty good and I didn't really feel like vforce reeds were worth the money.

Oil is like religion and politics around here but I'd recommend Castrol TTS premix, it's a good oil and a bit cheaper than some of the others.  I run 32:1 myself but that's mostly because the same gas goes in a 125 and smaller engines need more oil.

Don't forget the air box seal issue someone mentioned.

Edited by mxaniac
typo
  • Like 1

There actually isn't a lot to learn about the air striker. They will tell you this and it's definitely true - it comes all set up, just take out the mikunni (or however you spell it I don't care) throw it in the pond and put the new carb in. It's a bit harder to slip the boots over, but that's it. JD will figure out all your jetting based on your elevation and riding style.

2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

As a point of reference, if you decide to try the common mod of lowering the cylinder, setting the squish band, and opening up the squish volume for pump gas Eric Gorr does all that plus return shipping for 125 bucks.  He received it on a Friday, sent it out the very next Monday.  Not trying to trash talk RB but a few people who tried them and stuck with pump gas didn't like the result.  People who ran high octain fuel with a smaller squish volume were quite happy with RBs work from what I've read on the forum.  

I'd change the carb too, not because they can't work ok but because of the issue with the slides chipping and the pieces going through the engine.  Here is The meeting I used: 

The stock pipe is pretty good and I didn't really feel like vforce reeds were worth the money.

Oil is like religion and politics around here but I'd recommend Castrol TTS premix, it's a good oil and a bit cheaper than some of the others.  I run 32:1 myself but that's mostly because the same gas goes in a 125 and smaller engines need more oil.

Don't forget the air box seal issue someone mentioned.

I've used Eric Gorr on my 06 cr250 and I also had him do big bore kits on a 94 CR125 and an 01 CR80 and I am very happy with his work.  On my 03, I didn't want to lower the cylinder so I sent the head to RB designs and I have been very happy with his work as well.  Both my 06 and my 03 run on pump premium fuel with no issues.  Either option,  I don't think would be a bad decision.