Jump to content

Clutch Grooves 2014 YZ 450

Recommended Posts

I am in the process of replacing the clutch plates and springs on my 2014 YZ450. I noticed that there are quite a few visible grooves /notches on the hub and basket. What do you guys think, are they bad enough that I should replace both parts?  I dont want to ruin new plates but also dont really want to drop alot of money on hub and basket, if i dont need it. Thanks!

2017-08-19 12.31.48.jpg

2017-08-19 12.32.09.jpg

2017-08-19 12.32.44.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer, thats not what I wanted to hear!  Its the original parts, the bike has 125 hours on it.

What do you guys think about GYTR hubs and baskets? its cheaper than Hinson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, savagex said:

Bummer, thats not what I wanted to hear!  Its the original parts, the bike has 125 hours on it.

What do you guys think about GYTR hubs and baskets? its cheaper than Hinson.

They are great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the GYTR Basket and Hub will cost $503 and the Hinson would be $627

More than I wanted to spend on a bike I plan to sell at the end of the year to get a 2018. But I might have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, savagex said:

Looks like the GYTR Basket and Hub will cost $503 and the Hinson would be $627

More than I wanted to spend on a bike I plan to sell at the end of the year to get a 2018. But I might have to.

Bottom line is you can ride the bike just as it is, but your clutch feel, disengement quality, and overall feel will be notchy and inconsistent. Clutch drag and grabbiness will be your main symptoms. You can file everything down, but then the problem comes back quickly, and worse, and you risk the chance of cracking a plate due to the now created extra 'snatch' in the drive line.  You might be able to find a clutch on ebay in much better shape, for cheap.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-16-Yamaha-YZ450F-Clutch-Basket-Pressure-Plate-Boss-Inner-Hub-Plates-Discs-/382191467310?fits=Year%3A2014|Model%3AYZ450F&hash=item58fc62fb2e:g:IpMAAOSwr~dZjK1X&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/yz450f-complete-clutch-2014-/162632540054?hash=item25dda79f96:g:xj4AAOSw32lYovj6&vxp=mtr

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wiseco makes a pretty decent basket for the price, and the Rekluse unit is very nice as well.

The root cause of notching on both pieces is the OEM cushions on the backside of the basket basically being shot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2017 at 6:27 AM, THE KRAN said:

Bottom line is you can ride the bike just as it is, but your clutch feel, disengement quality, and overall feel will be notchy and inconsistent. Clutch drag and grabbiness will be your main symptoms. You can file everything down, but then the problem comes back quickly, and worse, and you risk the chance of cracking a plate due to the now created extra 'snatch' in the drive line.  You might be able to find a clutch on ebay in much better shape, for cheap.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-16-Yamaha-YZ450F-Clutch-Basket-Pressure-Plate-Boss-Inner-Hub-Plates-Discs-/382191467310?fits=Year%3A2014|Model%3AYZ450F&hash=item58fc62fb2e:g:IpMAAOSwr~dZjK1X&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/yz450f-complete-clutch-2014-/162632540054?hash=item25dda79f96:g:xj4AAOSw32lYovj6&vxp=mtr

Thanks for finding these auctions I purchased the OEM basket and hub for $125! Great deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2017 at 7:33 AM, ryan_cin said:

Did you end up fixing the clutch?

Got the replacement parts from a slightly used bike on Ebay.  Going to put them in this weekend

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×