Just bought a 2007 WR250F - Like New

Just purchased my first ever dirt bike. Been street riding for many years, currently have a KTM Duke 690. Just got the WR250F for a great price, it only has about 8 hours on it. The guy kept it meticulously, started it up, changed the fluids, bled the carbs, kept it functioning but never really used it.

I drove it up and down his driveway a few times, wasn't quite warmed up, and it rode great. Suspension felt brand new, tires felt brand new, etc.

This thing is almost completely bone stock. What should I start with? I've seen some articles like this which I'll take some from:

http://www.pegmonkey.com/node/1034

What else should I be doing? I am an experienced mountain biker, have taken flat track courses on dirt bikes, and ride street every day. I am mostly going to be trail riding in California, with the occasional single track stuff. I hate choked up throttles, so I know I have some work to do uncorking this thing, but I mostly just want linear, predictable throttle response and to protect it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

IMG_20170819_115807.jpg

Edited by CmaxVT
  • Like 2

Some people like them because they are lighter. I prefer the aluminum ones. Cost is about the same and I dont mind the extra ounces.

Try the plastic one out on the logs and rocks and see what happens.

Highly recommend the CYCRA gaurds. Ive wacked my share of trees and they are holding up extremely well.

Throwing on the Cycra's tonight. Got a new battery. Haven't ridden it yet but taking it out for the first time this weekend.

The electric start just clicks/ticks but doesn't turn the bike over at all. The previous owner said the battery was near dead and to just kick start it. Is that normal, that the electric start just clicks/ticks when the battery is low? Haven't installed the battery yet, so not sure if it's fixed it.

• 3 weeks later...

New battery is in, Cycra's are installed. It's weird, my bike has this little secondary throttle on the left handlebar that you have to use to make the electric start work. Never realized it until I actually learned about that.

Haven't bought the jet kit or thought about the throttle tamer yet. Definitely plan on getting to them soon tho.

What should I be thinking about for uncorking the exhaust?

Congrats on the bike, looks just like mine. When I got mine this spring I think all the mods were already done. I did drop to a 42 leak jet to eliminate the bog that it did have. Runs like a top now...

I dropped the leak jet as well, made a difference
New battery is in, Cycra's are installed. It's weird, my bike has this little secondary throttle on the left handlebar that you have to use to make the electric start work. Never realized it until I actually learned about that.
Haven't bought the jet kit or thought about the throttle tamer yet. Definitely plan on getting to them soon tho.

Is it a small lever above the clutch? That is your hot start

Pull the baffle, but more than likely in an 07 you might need a new pipe. I'm not sure if you have a grey wire, but unhooking that was the best thing I ever did to my bike. Huge difference in power delivery. Next easiest power is YZ exhaust camshaft. Grey wire first though. Make sure you don't have the wonky throttle stop either

Get the JD jet kit for the bike. Night and day difference. I bought the GYTR kit that came with the needles and jets along with the smog junk block offs. The bike just didn't run up to par with the GYTR jetting. Once I went with the JD kit, it made the bike run like a different beast.

I also did the grey wire mod (a must do), The throttle stop that came in the GYTR kit, Air box mod, o-ring mod on the accelerator pump linkage, removed the baffle from the factory muffler (but now have on a YZF450 muffler with pro moto spark arrestor)

I have re-geared it for singletrack (1 tooth down in front) a Rekluse core exp, Scotts steering damper. The bike rocks !! The weight of it sometimes gets to me after a long 50+ mile singletrack ride but it's all good.

If I get the JD Jet Kit, won't I need the GYTR throttle stop replacement anyway? It seems like I'd have to buy both the JD and the GYTR and then throw most of the GYTR jets away. Seems like a waste. 

Or just make the stop shorter or buy the YZ stop

18 minutes ago, 0macman0 said:

Or just make the stop shorter

I'd love to. Is there a specific screw I Should be using, or can I just use a generic screw? can't seem to find what length or part I need to use to replace it with something that doesn't stop my throttle short.

2 minutes ago, timotheus said:

The cheapo plastic one is good enough.  Quiet, light and strong.  Mine's taken a battering over the last few years and is still intact.

Agreed. I've been out twice on it now and it makes a nice, satisfying "THUNK" when a rock kicks up on it. So far it's done the trick just fine. My Cycra bar ends stuck my clutch in the first time I dropped them. Gonna have to hacksaw that clutch lever..