17 KTM 300 XCW fuel range

Today, I was running a dual sport. The morning leg was advertized as being about 50 miles. I ran out of gas (premix) less than a mile from the parking lot where my trailer and premix can was. A few months back, I was riding the Hatfield-McCoy Rockhouse system, taking the trail from Man to Gilbert and back with six other guys on assorted bikes. I ran out of gas, none of the other guys had a problem. This includes guys on an older 300XC a 450XCF and a 200 XCW

Is it something I'm doing? or is the tank just too small? 

I'm not thrilled about the idea of carrying a flash with premix in my CamelBak.....

There is a few threads on here that show how to pull the carb overflow tubing up and around on a the carb to make it leak less. The JD jet kit also has detailed instructions for doing this. Personally, running the JD kit and having done the tube trick, I can get better than 80 miles out of my 2017 300 XCW tank.

• Like 2

My dads seems to get considerably better mileage than mine. His is stock with a JD kit. Mine has a Lectron. We rode 77 miles yesterday on one tank but about 50 of it was road while the rest was wicked steep single track. But, I'm also 50# heavier. I usually get nervous around 50 miles of trail.

3 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

If you're not getting 60+ out of a tank something is wrong. 

yeah, that is why I started this thread. KTM claims the tank holds 9 liters or 2.5 gallons. I was totally out, there might have been 5 or 6 tablespoons of gas -- I tilted the bike to shake it from the right to left side, etc. So I was not getting 20 MPG. I didn't top it off to the very top of the tank, but it was no more than a 1/2" from the filler neck.

Edited by pat22043
1/2 inch

yeah, that is why I started this thread. KTM claims the tank holds 9 liters or 2.5 gallons. I was totally out, there might have been 5 or 6 tablespoons of gas -- I tilted the bike to shake it from the right to left side, etc. So I was not getting 20 MPG. I didn't top it off to the very top of the tank, but it was no more than a 1/2 from the filler neck.
Half what?
  • Like 1

If you are still using the oem needles that's the problem. Even if you think the bike is running fine its probably not running as efficient as it could.  My 2014 would only get 20-22 mpg with the oem needle and I thought it was running pretty good.  I switched to a JD needle and gained power and mileage hit almost 30mpg.  

16 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

If you are still using the oem needles that's the problem.

Yeah, its stock. I've seen folks talk about JD kits, but never thought much about it because the bike runs fine. Has all the power I need. I did notice that in the Dual Sport, when I was going down paved roads at a constant 35 MPH, that the engine was not happy. It was blurbling, and wanted either more or less throttle. It was my first time at any sustained constant speed run, I hadn't noticed it before. And it wasn't important, its a dirt bike, so pavement performance is not important to me. But running out of gas sucks. Twice.

I too was shocked with the fuel mileage on my 2014 300 XCW. First ride with full tank was 40 miles of single track and I had to go to reserve to complete. Went to a JD jetting kit and can comfortably go 70 miles at least on a full tank.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, Nuklhed said:

I think I get about 25 MPG.  With a 2.6 tank, that's 65 miles.  I've installed the JD jet kit for 2-7K elevation, technical riding.

A friend has a 17 te300 with the same setup and results. Easy 60 miles in the woods. Fast rider lugging and some mid range.

After sorting the jetting put an Acerbis 3.0 tank on it, I bought one and sold the OEM - only ended up being $60 bucks out of my pocket.  Riding fast single track 2-3 gear and twisting the throttle when possible I am getting roughly 75 without being on reserve.  JD kit set for sea level using the trail riding settings outside of main which is one size larger, constant throttle is still terrible overall but I still run about 9 miles on the street to my local spot - bike seems to like around 40mph with stock gearing best when cruising.

You need to loop the bowl vent.  While the needle may be running the bike rich, you are obviously losing gas out of the float bowl.  I did this mod before I went JD jetting and my mileage increased DRAMATICALLY, then got even better with JD kit.

Also, I can run my bike at constant throttle low RPM riding and it is smooth as silk, like a FI 4 stroke.  You are still too rich.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 5:11 PM, 95jersey said:

You need to loop the bowl vent.  While the needle may be running the bike rich, you are obviously losing gas out of the float bowl.  I did this mod before I went JD jetting and my mileage increased DRAMATICALLY, then got even better with JD kit.

Also, I can run my bike at constant throttle low RPM riding and it is smooth as silk, like a FI 4 stroke.  You are still too rich.

A picture is worth a thousand words :) 

Any 2017-2018 vent loop pics??