Force10

My first MX race: OTHG 45+ beginner

12 posts in this topic

I did my first race today and pulled the bonehead move of missing my first moto. I did ok on the second moto, it was my first time at a starting gate and didn't start too well. Pretty deep sandy track, was my first time in deepish sand. I ended up 8th out of 14.

Had a great time and came back in one piece! :thumbsup:

4 people like this

Good for you! I'm going to have to try something like this one day. I'm only 55, so still plenty of time.  :lol:

17 hours ago, LSHD said:

Good for you! I'm going to have to try something like this one day. I'm only 55, so still plenty of time.  :lol:

There is plenty of time! We have a 58+ class...and then a 62+ class! You would be in the 52+...not even close to the oldest group. ;)

I'll just leave this here. Getting some seat time before my second race ever on Sunday. I had to use my trail bike since my race bike is red sticker. Wheel over the burm and knocked the ribcage pretty good. Gonna be a little banged up for the race. :thumbsup:

On 9/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, Force10 said:

I'll just leave this here. Getting some seat time before my second race ever on Sunday. I had to use my trail bike since my race bike is red sticker. Wheel over the burm and knocked the ribcage pretty good. Gonna be a little banged up for the race. :thumbsup:

Start riding a properly ripped and watered track. Falls in the corners are no big deal. Plus ruts form to hold you in the turn for faster speed. You racing Riverfront?

39 minutes ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

Start riding a properly ripped and watered track. Falls in the corners are no big deal. Plus ruts form to hold you in the turn for faster speed. You racing Riverfront?

Yeah. I'm debating driving up for practice on Saturday before the race on Sunday...get to know the track a little. Not sure if driving round trip 6 hours for 45mins practice...then repeating again on Sunday is the way to go though. Might skip practice and just go for the race on Sunday.

Are you going to be there?

Edit: I know what you mean about riding a prepped track...but I still enjoy trail riding and this was a trail riding day. This TT track isn't meant to be any ind of mx track...just a trail riding track.

Edited by Force10

42 minutes ago, Force10 said:

Yeah. I'm debating driving up for practice on Saturday before the race on Sunday...get to know the track a little. Not sure if driving round trip 6 hours for 45mins practice...then repeating again on Sunday is the way to go though. Might skip practice and just go for the race on Sunday.

Are you going to be there?

Edit: I know what you mean about riding a prepped track...but I still enjoy trail riding and this was a trail riding day. This TT track isn't meant to be any ind of mx track...just a trail riding track.

Me and a couple riding buddies keep talking about it. I'm pretty sure I'll race Sunday. Trying to get to the track Thursday so that I have a choice for Saturday again. I have not rode Riverfront since it got washed out this past winter. One of the group really likes that track. He did say when they added a bunch of sand to the track it made for more technical conditions.

Now I get it.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN
1 person likes this

On 8/20/2017 at 8:08 PM, Force10 said:

I did my first race today and pulled the bonehead move of missing my first moto. I did ok on the second moto, it was my first time at a starting gate and didn't start too well. Pretty deep sandy track, was my first time in deepish sand. I ended up 8th out of 14.

Had a great time and came back in one piece! :thumbsup:

Having a good time is what it is all about. So you missed the race during the cool part of the day and made the one in the agonizingly hot part of the day?!?! :ride:  I heard it was a ridiculously hot day which was the poor excuse I used this year.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

Having a good time is what it is all about. So you missed the race during the cool part of the day and made the one in the agonizingly hot part of the day?!?! :ride:  I heard it was a ridiculously hot day which was the poor excuse I used this year.

I have to remind myself that having fun is what it's all about...the only one who cares how well I ride is me...lol.

I think the heat you're talking about was the nationals on Sep 2nd & 3rd. I couldn't race nationals as an eval rider so it made the decision for me. I heard it got up to 110 on one of those days! Aren't us old folks supposed to remain indoors and in air conditioning when it get's that hot...not out racing? lol

2 minutes ago, Force10 said:

I have to remind myself that having fun is what it's all about...the only one who cares how well I ride is me...lol.

I think the heat you're talking about was the nationals on Sep 2nd & 3rd. I couldn't race nationals as an eval rider so it made the decision for me. I heard it got up to 110 on one of those days! Aren't us old folks supposed to remain indoors and in air conditioning when it get's that hot...not out racing? lol

Oh, that's right. That was the Warm Up week. I heard it was really decent weather and the track was prime. A riding buddy really likes Hollister GP track but he went only on the practice day.