Jump to content

SXS's in Arrowhead/Pinnacles

Recommended Posts

I try and get away from the house at weekends as a result of the 'hood going downhill, it's ranchero music from morning till night.

We got to pinnacles, it was great, just us, I thought we'd get some good riding in, not to many people out on the trails, we were there for 10 minutes, and this crowd shows up, blasting the music out, I thought I was back at home again.

Out on the trail we had a couple of near head ons with SXS's. F'ing ridiculous. We didn't find a single trail that didn't have SXS tracks on them.

Last time I go to that area at the weekend. F'em.

This sport used to be fun, not sure I can say that anymore.

 

 

 

 

IMG_2578[1].JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more users the more State Green Sticker Grant dollars the USFS can make a case for.  They love the SXS usersright now because it' the fastest growing OHV sector...  brings up the user numbers. Won't be changing unless the grants dry up.  Then they will change their tune and make excuses to box them in and regulate them out.  It's all about a revenue stream.  No cash... they won't wanna manage it for free.

It's all math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hondamad55 said:

I try and get away from the house at weekends as a result of the 'hood going downhill, it's ranchero music from morning till night.

We got to pinnacles, it was great, just us, I thought we'd get some good riding in, not to many people out on the trails, we were there for 10 minutes, and this crowd shows up, blasting the music out, I thought I was back at home again.

Out on the trail we had a couple of near head ons with SXS's. F'ing ridiculous. We didn't find a single trail that didn't have SXS tracks on them.

Last time I go to that area at the weekend. F'em.

This sport used to be fun, not sure I can say that anymore.

 

 

 

 

IMG_2578[1].JPG

It looks as though you captured one of the more normal traits of the SXS species.  This is affectionately known as the "Circle Jerk"  It mostly happens in the nest and where they hunker for the night, but sometimes during mating season they come out to show of all their feathers. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A required SXS behavior while in the "Circle Jerk" is to generate as much dust as possible. I think they designate one of their group to spin donuts or drive around the area aimlessly. I used to ride this area when I needed a quick session, but not really interested anymore for the reasons described.

At some point last year the Forest Service took a small tractor and bladed the trails wide enough for quads, which just opened the door for the SXS crowd to use them and do some real damage. I've seen SXS groups drive around a 50" or less barricade at Pinnacles while the Forest Service just stood and watched. And the trash left behind is awful. I know it's not us that leaves >20 empty beer/soda cans and food trash in a single spot on the trail. Weekends are no good there. But seriously, you don't like Ranchero music?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

???  I'm confused.  This is new?  From my perspective, this has been going on for close to 10 years now.  I've had serious altercations with the SXS "drivers" hanging one wheel a foot off either side of the trail, and when asked why they are on the trail, behaving all indignant and bent.  Don't ride there anymore.  Won't ride with anyone who has SXS'ers in their group.  And I don't share trail info with them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are getting more travel and horse power every year! A head on with one would really bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, pushing $20k for one of those things........and no air conditioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bill_P said:

???  I'm confused.  This is new?  From my perspective, this has been going on for close to 10 years now.  I've had serious altercations with the SXS "drivers" hanging one wheel a foot off either side of the trail, and when asked why they are on the trail, behaving all indignant and bent.  Don't ride there anymore.  Won't ride with anyone who has SXS'ers in their group.  And I don't share trail info with them.

No not new, except for the mass quantity of SXS's which I've never seen before.

For every bike i saw on the trail there was maybe 5 SXS's.

And those f'ers are on EVERY trail now, and they drive like the idiots in some of those SXS adverts on TV. I don't know if it's any better during the week.

I blame partially the cockroaches at Chapparal/Berts etc and the finance companies who seem to make it so easy to buy a SXS, and a trailer etc etc.

Have SXS's ruined Kennedy Meadows yet?

Edited by hondamad55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't even wrap my brain around how you could blame a powersports sales outlet or finance company for NOT  trying to make it HARDER for someone to buy their products in an attempt to keep people off trails.  Thats a real reach in logic.  We can't fix anything in this country these days because so many disagree...  but you can't find consensus on a fix if you can't even identify the problem and how it can/should be fixed.

It's like blaming McDonald's for a Fat Man being Fat.  They should have made it harder for the guy to fund his cheeseburger I guess...  LOLOLOLOL

====================================

Kennedy Meadows trails are all classified 20 inch.  There really is no place for ATVs...  so no place for SXSs there either.  The problem in SBNF is that the FS wants the growing SXS user group and so they have looked the other way to SXSs driving on the ATV trails.  Technically it's illegal...  but they want the body count, They pretend that they don't approve as they just ignore the violations.

It's about money...  nothing but money.

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hockdog said:

Yep, pushing $30k for one of those things........and no air conditioning.

Fixed it !  the can am is 25k plus tax and fees.  What a joke.  You know how many bikes we can own with that much money, lol

Edited by Hallzilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2017 at 10:12 PM, hondamad55 said:

I try and get away from the house at weekends as a result of the 'hood going downhill, it's ranchero music from morning till night.

We got to pinnacles, it was great, just us, I thought we'd get some good riding in, not to many people out on the trails, we were there for 10 minutes, and this crowd shows up, blasting the music out, I thought I was back at home again.

Out on the trail we had a couple of near head ons with SXS's. F'ing ridiculous. We didn't find a single trail that didn't have SXS tracks on them.

Last time I go to that area at the weekend. F'em.

This sport used to be fun, not sure I can say that anymore.

 

 

 

 

IMG_2578[1].JPG

What's all the fuss and whining about? If you are riding a motorcycle why would you even worry about running into a UTV? I go to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear all the time and rarely see these 4 wheelers. That's just a big flat area you are showing in the picture. After you hit the trails those 4 wheelers are left behind. Why even stage at that crappy place. I have yet to see a UTV on Redonda Ridge, John Bull, Gold Mountain, Holcomb Creek, etc.

In fact here is a nice little trail right outside of Holcomb Creek campground that no UTV can follow. It's not on the map but a legitimate trail that's burned in really good. This trail has plenty of bailouts when the going gets rough. It goes up a ridge that has breathtaking views of both Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. Just tread lightly at beginning. Beaver dam is long gone but still a really fun trail. Entrance is here:

N34° 17.648' W116° 53.402'

It empties out at 3N93 Holcomb Creek Trail.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be reality that place is mediocre during the week at best .

 

I don't follow the US vs Them mentality. That is the same attitude that has thinned out our riding areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RV Salesman Matt said:

Let's be reality that place is mediocre during the week at best .

 

I don't follow the US vs Them mentality. That is the same attitude that has thinned out our riding areas.

What thinned out riding areas is the introduction and popularity of the ATV.  PERIOD.  Miles and Miles and Miles of dirt bike trails were dumbed down by land managers after those things started causing major safety issues...  Helo flights and such.  20-25 years ago Gorman was actually still a fun place to ride with some fun hill climbs.  It's all been closed off and widened and flattened to accommodate ATVs...  the UTV situation is a continuation of the same thing...  find a product you can sell in mass...  for big dollars and profit...  for people that want to play in the dirt and feel like the badass they saw in the commercial...  without having any skill, knowledge or learning curve.

SBNF has hundreds of miles of green sticker access.  Most of that is just flat forest road with some fun jeep crawls too...  this is where UTVs are supposed to stay.  There is only 46 miles of two track that is legal for atvs under 50 inches wide.  UTVs do NOT legally belong here but they squeeze in whenever possible.  That leaves only 2.1 miles of motorcycle trail.  Thats right...  of all the miles in the forest service controlled land one trail...  2W01 at Devils Hole is the only motorcycle trail left.  Good news is there is more legal and lots of illegal single track on the north side of the mountain controlled by BLM.

The dirt bike has been dwarfed in new sales by the atv and utv user.  Those user groups are important to land managers because they represent stats that support funding for the trail systems aka agency checking account.

So in the end, ATV/UTVs have stolen mega miles of trails from the dirt biker. Respectfully, if you were just a few years older you would have seen this trend occur as I have.  It was not so obvious growing up at a time when the ATV invasion had already occurred.

 

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Anvil said:

I don't ever see a sxs on the trail

or the track. What gives ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

What thinned out riding areas is the introduction and popularity of the ATV.  PERIOD.  Miles and Miles and Miles of dirt bike trails were dumbed down by land managers after those things started causing major safety issues...  Helo flights and such.  20-25 years ago Gorman was actually still a fun place to ride with some fun hill climbs.  It's all been closed off and widened and flattened to accommodate ATVs...  the UTV situation is a continuation of the same thing...  find a product you can sell in mass...  for big dollars and profit...  for people that want to play in the dirt and feel like the badass they saw in the commercial...  without having any skill, knowledge or learning curve.

SBNF has hundreds of miles of green sticker access.  Most of that is just flat forest road with some fun jeep crawls too...  this is where UTVs are supposed to stay.  There is only 46 miles of two track that is legal for atvs under 50 inches wide.  UTVs do NOT legally belong here but they squeeze in whenever possible.  That leaves only 2.1 miles of motorcycle trail.  Thats right...  of all the miles in the forest service controlled land one trail...  2W01 at Devils Hole is the only motorcycle trail left.  Good news is there is more legal and lots of illegal single track on the north side of the mountain controlled by BLM.

The dirt bike has been dwarfed in new sales by the atv and utv user.  Those user groups are important to land managers because they represent stats that support funding for the trail systems aka agency checking account.

So in the end, ATV/UTVs have stolen mega miles of trails from the dirt biker. Respectfully, if you were just a few years older you would have seen this trend occur as I have.  It was not so obvious growing up at a time when the ATV invasion had already occurred.

 

 

 

i was referring more to land taken away not given to SXS. chit off limits to everyone.  Laws made by people who dont go outside their house

 

anyways i have to be nice to the SXS glamis types since i sell their buggy carriers ;). Toy Hauler buyers are  the biggest pain in the ass btw......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

SBNF has hundreds of miles of green sticker access.  Most of that is just flat forest road with some fun jeep crawls too...  this is where UTVs are supposed to stay.  There is only 46 miles of two track that is legal for atvs under 50 inches wide.  UTVs do NOT legally belong here but they squeeze in whenever possible.  That leaves only 2.1 miles of motorcycle trail.  Thats right...  of all the miles in the forest service controlled land one trail...  2W01 at Devils Hole is the only motorcycle trail left.  Good news is there is more legal and lots of illegal single track on the north side of the mountain controlled by BLM.

 

You need to get out and ride more Jeff. There many many miles of single track trails in and around Big Bear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×