2017 CRF250L First Service and Valve Clearance

I tried searching the forum for this specific question and found nothing about performing a valve clearance check on a 2017 CRF250L.

I just purchased a 2017 CRF250L and have noticed how the new model varies from previous years on when you should check the valve clearance. On previous years it is recommend to check the valve clearance on the first service which is at 600 miles along with changing the oil and oil filter. According to both my Owners Manual that came with the bike and also the Honda Repair Manual, they both state that it is recommend to check the valve clearance at 16,000 miles and it does not mention checking the valves at 600 miles. Is this one of the changes that Honda has made to 2017 model?

Also, the bike has 730 miles on it and I have changed the oil and oil filter. I have noticed that the bike started to make some "valve train" noise at about 150 miles. The engine noise is audible from 5,000 rpm to about 6,500 rpm after the engine is warmed up. The noise slightly dissipated after my first oil change and I started to ride it much harder, but the noise is still there. Not sure if this is normal for the engine. Found some people on other forums talking about this, but I found it difficult to find a solid answer. Any thoughts?

Any feedback would help. Thanks. 

Edited by JACOB JAKE
Grammer

My 2014 manual specifically stated to check at 600, so if yours does not say that, I wouldn't bother. The noise is probably the cam chain noise that comes standard with this engine. Don't worry about it. I guess I should say that blastfromthesaddles had several cam chain tensioner failures.... But seems somewhat isolated. I did take my tensioner out and lubed it just to make sure, but it had no effect on anything as far as I can tell

BTW I did not check mine at 600, but waited till 10k, and they were dead nuts in spec. Same story for a lot of other people. I am now at 16k and will be checking again, but don't expect much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tonestire,

Did you ever install the manual chain tensioner?

I have about 1100 miles on the bike now and I noticed that the chain noise has gotten slightly louder. I used to have a Honda 600 F4I and it also had a problem with the OEM chain tensioner. Bought a manual tensioner and the sound went away and never came back.

4 hours ago, JACOB JAKE said:

Tonestire,

Did you ever install the manual chain tensioner?

I have about 1100 miles on the bike now and I noticed that the chain noise has gotten slightly louder. I used to have a Honda 600 F4I and it also had a problem with the OEM chain tensioner. Bought a manual tensioner and the sound went away and never came back.

Hi Jacob, I totally forgot about this thread. I did remove the oem tensioner and installed a beautiful new Tokyo Mods manual tensioner.

Good news is the install went wonderful after figuring out how to get the motor to TDC.

Bad news is that it didn't make a lick of a difference. I still have the noise from around 5k-7k after a warm up although some days on my commute I don't hear it at all.

Even after riding after it warms up sometime it will just about vanish. I didn't install an exhaust header copper gasket with my full exhaust so did that a few days after testing the manual tensioner to see if it could possibly be an exhaust noise. Still no go.

The only thing left which I haven't done is check the cam/valves to make sure they are in spec. Never done this so I was a little hesitant until I get someone to give me a hand.
I did remove the valve head when installing the tensioner but didn't have a chance to stick the gauges in to check specs.

What year bike is yours? Mines a 15'

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kennyd51 said:

Have 2013 model and have had that noise since 300miles. Spark knock? Cam tensioner? Valves? Roller rockers? I personally think it's the pair valve rattling.

I sure wish I could figure this out. You think you could here the pair valve over the noise of the motor? I've been debating removing the whole setup and buying a block off cover.

I sure wish I could figure this out. You think you could here the pair valve over the noise of the motor? I've been debating removing the whole setup and buying a block off cover.

Think it may be either the reed valve or plate under the reed valve cover that is vibrating at that certain rpm. Only a theory and only way to know is get a block off plate and get rid of the valve and plate. Plugged mine off and seems to have helped some.

• 1 year later...

Hi there. I am new heer and also got the exact same problem on my crf250L 2017, its doing my head in, tried taking the sump plate off and cable ties everything that might be rattling, number plate off. Did you ever manage to get it sorted, i read one form that the guy had been to honda to fix it so many times that they said they cant fix it and gave him his money back.... i have not took it to honda yet but does anyone know if i need to put all the standard parts back on, as that might void the warrenty? its only got the filter and exhaust and EJK controller on it so wont take long to out the standard stuff back on. 

Marc Macbain,

I have not done anything to address this "noise". I now have close to 6,000 miles on the bike and it runs perfectly fine. No issues what so ever. I also ride the bike very hard on road and off road. The noise bothered me for a while because I thought it was a problem, but all seems well.

yeah i got the bike completely standard with only 800KM on it and i noticed it right away. I would be more worried if it was modified when i got it (didnt stop me modifying it anyway but yeah the noise is still there, good to hear your bike is still going though but like you say it is just annoying.. i am going to put the standard stuff back on next week and go to honda and see what they say, i stay in thailand so i dont have much hope to be fair haha thanks and keep me posted, and if i hear anything i will let you know..