Is the 17 model really so bad?

While I agree that the new 18 is a wonderful bike with huge improvements, I have already found many offers of the old 17 at bargain prices.

Since I am not a racer, my doubt is: is the 17 so slow, from an amateur perspective? Is it just a matter of peak power, or are there any other weaknesses?

I have never rode one, so I'm wondering why not choose the bargain instead of the latest model...

Thanks

Edited by frengo_it

9 hours ago, frengo_it said:

While I agree that the new 18 is a wonderful bike with huge improvements, I have already found many offers of the old 17 at bargain prices.

Since I am not a racer, my doubt is: is the 17 so slow, from an amateur perspective? Is it just a matter of peak power, or are there any other weaknesses?

I have never rode one, so I'm wondering why not choose the bargain instead of the latest model...

Thanks

I recently bought a 17 with only one ride on it. Have not taken it to the track yet to give a review. But the way I look at it, yes the 18 is faster but will cost about $9000 OTD and is 8lbs heavier than the 17 model. The 17 model I just bought with one ride I paid $4400. With that extra money I could buy an exhaust, cam, 270cc big bore kit, race fuel, mapping, and still have a ton left over for tires, rims, etc. All depends on your budget and if you HAVE to have the latest and greatest, which I don't. Hell, I ride my 07 CR125 more than any other bike I got in the last couple years lol. 

• Like 1

Thank you, I just don't want to be infuenced by all those magazine testers... According to them, this bike should be the weakest two-fifty of the pack.

I had a chance yo ride a friends '17 and was impressed with the power. I normally ride a '17 YZ 250x and weigh 220lbs.

8 hours ago, frengo_it said:

Thank you, I just don't want to be infuenced by all those magazine testers... According to them, this bike should be the weakest two-fifty of the pack.

Honda 250's and 450's are the weakest of the pack in both classes. Even their two strokes were mild power, not big hitters. 

I have recently bought a nearly new 2017, and I absolutely love it! It turns on a dime, feels really nimble and I like the power...however :)

I believe that if you are a fast and/or aggressive rider, you will probably miss the hit and power that some of the other 250 brands have. The power of the crf is very mellow, which is good for a beginner vet as me, but can be frustrating if you are an 18 year old kid with lots of energy to burn. This can of cause be "fixed" by throwing money at the engine/exhaust, but not cheap.

I mean. You'll notice it when you try to hit jumps and realize you have to push it harder than you should to clear them because your lacking the punch it needs. On my rm250 I can clear lots of stuff in just 2nd gear, granted it's a big bore and isn't close to stock.