Wheelies - XR250 vs XR400

I've had my 2000 XR400 for a year and I've never been able to pop those small wheelies that can be useful to get over a log etc. I put it down to lack of technique, the bikes weight and the length of the bike and didn't especially worry about it.

I've just completed recommissioning a 1991 XR250, and on first ride, it'll pop a wheelie on the throttle no problem. Now it is shorter wheel base and lighter but I'm wondering if the clutch on the XR400 is slipping ?

I fitted a Hymec clutch a while back, and i think when it first went on it wasn't fully disengaging the clutch and there was some slip present over a few months of riding. I've altered the mount so it's now fully disengaged but I wonder if my clutch is toasted ?

Looks like an easy change on the 400 ?

ride down your driveway at about 10mph or so and put it in top gear. rev it up and dump the clutch. if the RPMs don't immediately drop then your clutch is slipping.

• Like 1

good plan - don't know why i didn't think of that - it's exactly what i would do in a car.

I ran a tusk clutch kit with the ebc springs the entire set was around $70 on eBay with the gasket set and had zero issues on my xr400r

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, FFMan said:

i ordered stock parts to play it safe

this. clutches (plates at least) are one thing that I always order OEM.