How many hours on your fe450-501?

Hey guys, what year and how many hours and/or km on your bikes? Hey guys, I've got about 135 hours on my 2016 450. The manual calls for a topend at this number. I change my oil every 500km, which is roughly two 7 hour rides for me (15 hours riding time). Air filter is taken care of, oil filter every two changes as well. The bike has around 4500km. I have a piston and camchain waiting to be put in, just wondering whether or not I should do it now or wait. The bike doesn't sip a drop of oil and runs great. Of course, I don't want to wait too long and have a scoured cylinder wall, but also don't want to change it earlier than needed if the stock piston can easily handle 200 hours... As mentioned, I typically do 1 or 2-3 day rides, around 7 hours riding per day (180-230km/day). I ride fairly fast in some sections (sandy trails) with high throttle, and sometimes put-put in the not-so-interesting sections. 

So what year and how many hours/km? At how many hours did you change the original piston and how did it look? Friend who rides with me a lot recently put in his 3rd piston in his KTM 450EXC (08) and it looked pretty good. His bike has 750 hours or so, which is leading me to believe I can maybe get away with 150 hours or even 200+... 

As long as mine's still running well, I'm not gonna touch it, and I expect to go way longer than 135 hours before I have to go into the engine.  If I were racing and thrashing the engine, I could understand 135 hours.  But simply riding roads, trails and single track - it should go a long time.

I have 600 hours on my original 2015 500 piston right near 30,000 miles, I run a light leaded race fuel diet for a dry running top end, doesn't burn a drop between 7 or 800 mile intervals. All original clutch plates and dampers. Not had to adjust any valves yet. 

I did an oil analysis around the 2000 mile range when bike was new, nothing seemed to be High wearing or unusual (just a normal motor), Chromium which tends to come from rings was (1ppm) , but I still considered that coming out of breakin.

The oem Mahle piston and rings are top notch, more about keeping dirt filtration at a high level, that's whats going to really determine the wear. 

I'll probably pull the topend in the next couple hundred hours.

don't wing a cold motor, let it warm fully

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I think I'll wait another 50 hours or so. No need to pull things apart if it's not needed, plus there's always the risk of improperly reinstalling something etc. I assume you do a lot of dual-sporting Spud? Do you do desert riding as well? 500 wears better than a 450 obviously, but it still means the 450 should be able to handle a lot. Still, I find it hard to believe any bike that's ridden fairly aggressively would be able to handle 500 hours (unless it's mainly dual sport). I haven't raced on this bike yet, but still... What you say is true though, very good bike. Friend who raced his KTM 450 (same year, so essentially the same bike as mine) took out his piston at 110 hours and he said it looked fine, could have waited longer. We're talking 6th gear 120-140kmh stuff too... I like that it holds 1.5L of oil vs the 1. my WR held. Plus the oil screens and so on. I just bought a TwinAir air filter "prefilter" for extra peace of mind as I live in a dual season place which gets extremely dusty at times and extremely wet at others. Lots of sand... Had it on my last ride for the first time (not even oiled) and I'm amazed how well it saved my air filter. So far only once did I see a few particles get into the airbox and that was after a lot of very deep water crossings, which I otherwise tend to avoid. I'm hoping nothing went up the tract but you never know, that was several rides ago. Anyways, thanks for the input, I'll wait a while before touching my topend. I'm due for another valve check, so I'll do that but that's it.

And for the record: I got a ProX piston ($99) and hotcams cam chain ($44). You were right Spud, the ProX doesn't look that awesome tbh, no teflon coating or anything and packaging wasn't as nice as Wiseco or others. Still, my friend installed one in his KTM 450 with zero issues. He probably has around 40-50 hours on that piston now. Still, I've decided that once I put the ProX in, I'll take it out after 100 hours max just to be safe. It's cheap enough that I can afford the extra work for the peace of mind it'll bring. Once I do that I'll post pictures to see the comparisons of Mahle and ProX (pre/post). Based on how the piston looks, I can then compare it to the old one and decide whether or not I should stick with OEM or not. 

Edited by Bitteeinbit

I can easily go 25 hours on an airfilter, so my normal dirt contamination level is not that high , and only have one track area where dirt hangs in the air and that's only a small time frame that im in that environment, my forrest areas are farily clean in comparision. and then I have rock areas. But I ride a large cross mix of tight super moto road, while venturing to these offroad area's in a rural setting.

I always check my throttle body velocity tunnel, with a white rag, everything immaculate with the nakid eye. But can pick up slight haze on the rag, without a prefilter. with dry prefilter, that doesn't seem to happen. So the prefilter does seem to have an effect. I don't have any sand areas.