Trying to remove kick start lever (1979 YZ125)

When I tried to kick over the bike the lever went very low in it's arc, engaging the mechanism only when level with the foot peg and then "cranking" until it it the foot peg mount. No enough space to start the engine. Figuring that there is something work inside the bike I was going to these the side cover off. On of the steps in that is to get the kick-starter off. Well, I removed the bolt that olds it on and wiggle it as I might, it won't come off the shaft. I can't see any other thing holding it on. An interesting finding fro that was that it engages the starting mechanism almost identically when it's "installed" or "being removed". I imagine that this means the the teeth of the lever itself are worn but no matter how tight I make the pinch-bolt the lever spins on the shaft and only engages in that last little bit, beyond what I would think i s "normal".

The question is: how do I get the kick starter lever off of a 1979 Yamaha YZ125?

You can try a little penetrating oil to free it up. If it still doesn't come off, you can tap a screwdriver blade in the split to open it up a bit. If all else fails, you might be able to get behind it with a cheap Harbor Freight type puller.

Edited by 76xtdrvr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Just knock a screwdriver in the split to pry it open

yz.png

I have used this technique more than once on both kickstarters and gear shift levers.  It is vitally important to remove the pinch bolt completely however as there is a groove in the shaft that will prevent the levers removal if the bolt isn't removed completely.

• Like 2

For some reason this seems to be a particular problem with Yamaha's.  I couldn't get the shift lever or the kick starter off of my 1977 YZ-250D or my 1986 TY-350 with out jamming a screwdriver into the slot after pinch bolt removal.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GlennRay said:

It is vitally important to remove the pinch bolt completely however as there is a groove in the shaft that will prevent the levers removal if the bolt isn't removed completely.

:thumbsup: