2008 450 Fork Purchase (check / refill oil)

My guys CRF450 been horrible for years he seldom rides it the front forks are so stiff - he sold his quadracer so he is on fixing the front forks that are too stiff to trail ride with.

We bought another set of shocks off ebay he wants to drain & put fresh oil in the shocks when they arrive, he is clueless on these, if I read correctly its 5W fork oil & about 325cc?

How do we drain the forks properly & fill properly? 170lb rider w/o gear.

TIA

My advice is to either Google a video on twin chamber fork service or check out the one on https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ . Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll find videos.  Not his forks but basically the same. The procedure is also shown in both the owners and service manuals.

If after watching a video you feel it's beyond your ability, take them to or ship to a suspension shop.

Edited by HRC27

Thanks a bunch, I have found a manual via this board & the youtube vids are simple enough to rebuild the shocks, which I have a feeling are overfull of oil the one that survive that is :)

We buy quite a lot from Rockymountain over the years never realized they had how to videos posted - I must buy 2 rear tires a season from them for our 14R.

2dlum8n.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mistress Fiona said:

Thanks a bunch, I have found a manual via this board & the youtube vids are simple enough to rebuild the shocks, which I have a feeling are overfull of oil the one that survive that is :)

We buy quite a lot from Rockymountain over the years never realized they had how to videos posted - I must buy 2 rear tires a season from them for our 14R.

2dlum8n.jpg

Sweet bike!

The inner chamber is a fixed amount ... be sure and change it.  Use the min spec in the outer chamber and you will thank me later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

The inner chamber is a fixed amount ... be sure and change it.  Use the min spec in the outer chamber and you will thank me later.

I find this works for me also.  I use Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid in my outer chambers.  I usually dump them and change fluid at beginning of season.  Very easy to do.

I'd always suggest servicing the forks but you can just remove the caps (easier if in the triples and only the bottom pinch bolts are tight), you'll need the cap tool regardless (Tusk are a good deal), drain the outter chamber, measure and poor. Half a$$? Yeah, but it can be done if all you need is new oil.

The inner chamber stays much cleaner. Well, in the ones I've done anyway.

The ebay shocks arrived, installed & took for a quick spin around the hill, going to rebuild these I think the aluminum tube is worn through on one of the forks I pulled so they probably are not worth rebuilding.

The maxxis tires do not hook up well in the trails just another gripe LOL they do not hook up at all imo.

The ZX I bought new last year 2015 I have had it 140+ with wife aboard.

20170823 2005 CRF450R.jpg

Edited by Mistress Fiona