pull snorkel on XR250 and baffle question

I'm picking up a carb rebuild kit for my 2001 XR250 due to it's elderly nature and "gas leakiness". If I remove the snorkel is stock jetting still ok? No other mods I am aware of. Looks like someone took out the spark arrestor at some point though. Thanks

Edited by dogeddie

Thanks - maybe I'll just stick it back on for now then after I install the rebuild kit. Not in a tuning mood.

I believe the baffle/spark arrestor was removed as if i remember correct, I don't think I have a screen behind the rear cap of my exhaust. See attached example (not my bike).

Is that the baffle or the spark arrestor?

If that is already out and I also remove the snorkel, where should I be jet wise? Aren't the XR250's rich from the factory? Thanks

imageproxy.php.jpg

The screen in your picture is the spark arrestor and the inner tube (inside your pipe) is the baffle.  I have both baffle and snorkel off and at see level, run 138 main and 48 pilot.  

so if just the screen is off but the baffle remains I am not gaining anything with airflow - correct? As in, if I plop the snorkel back in I will be ok with stock jettings, even though the screen is removed? just trying to get a baseline starting point-  Thanks again

Edited by dogeddie

You definitely increase air flow with the spark arrestor off, how much I don't know, I have never experimented with just removing the spark arrestor but leaving baffle and snorkel.  Generally, people who remove one remove all three due to the significant power increase.  

If you don't want to mess with jetting you can certainly experiment and see how your bike runs.  I can tell you I am far from an expert mechanic and I can have the carb removed, re-jetted, and put back together in 30 minutes.  It's super easy with the XR250R.

As I stated, I am not aware of anyone just removing the spark arrestor so maybe you can be the first to experiment and give us your feedback.  

I am cool with rejetting - I've done alot of it. But I am in the middle of working on a few other bikes and i just want to get this one close to stock for now and move on to another project, so I just want stock(ish) as a starting point and a "good enough" for the time being, or at least a close to good point.  It's so much nicer when you are the first owner and you know what your starting point is....

Edited by dogeddie

Smokey Bear will be pissed.... I think I am a pretty responsible rider and would replace it, but good luck finding one. Air cleaner is a K&N

Edited by dogeddie

What is a good method to pull the insert out?

Mine is still 100% stock.   I would like to be able to but it in and out.

On 8/23/2017 at 5:25 AM, TX-SANDMAN said:

What is a good method to pull the insert out?

Mine is still 100% stock.   I would like to be able to but it in and out.

They are held on by glue.  Just slowly and carefully start at one corner and it will put off.  

I wouldn't think the spark arrestor would make any difference in air flow. It is big enough to easily flow more air than the engine is pushing out.  When I got my xr250 the spark arrestor was gone so I bought a new one when we were riding in public forest type areas and required a spark arrestor. I didn't notice any difference and didn't change the jets. 

6 minutes ago, Toadster25 said:

I wouldn't think the spark arrestor would make any difference in air flow. It is big enough to easily flow more air than the engine is pushing out.  When I got my xr250 the spark arrestor was gone so I bought a new one when we were riding in public forest type areas and required a spark arrestor. I didn't notice any difference and didn't change the jets. 

Thanks. I'd be happy to be responsible and install one if I could find one!