Emergency Radiator Hose Repair?

Never had it happen in 20+ years, but what if?

What would you do? What would you carry if you were on a long, long off-road track and wanted to be prepared?

Repair tricks? Techniques?

Thanks

also a power bar.

someone i know punched a hole in their clutch cover.  They jammed a power bar into the hole and rode back to the truck.  It didn't leak any more oil. when he got a new cover he was inspecting his power bar patch job.  It baked hard! and was sealed, he thinks he could have finished the ride instead of going back to the truck. he now keeps a power bar in his tool bag.

1 minute ago, segge said:

Rescue tape?

yes,

its silicone self vulcanizing stuff, can be used on radiator hoses.

• Like 2

The good stuff has a pretty high heat tolerance too.

Not something I've ever had happen to me BUT ya you want something that is going to be able to handle HIGH PSI and TEMPS when applied correctly.

Most rad hoses have very specific bends in them which makes it hard to carry say a foot or so of straight rad hose and actually use with out crimping and preventing coolant flow but you.

IMO you want to prevent this happening in the first place. IE old hose or exposed

Or get creative :)

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

I carry jb weld, at least in my trailer. I once punched a hole in the rad of my rzr deep in the bush. After the gong show to get it out of the bush the new rad was back ordered. so I used jb weld as a temporary fix so I could ride again the next weekend.

Repair worked great and the new rad is still in the box in the garage.

After that I decided I would carry jb quick. (The 5 minute version) so if i ever punctured a rad deep in the bush, I could do a repair in the backcountry. Have a couple beers while it drys, fill it back up, and ride it out. Or do a repair at camp and not have to cut the weekend short.

• Like 2

I've had one puncture to a hose in the last 16 years. I wrapped the cut with electrical tape and covered the tape with a hose clamp (I carry both; tape is wrapped/carried on kick start lever and hose clamps in tool kit). FWIW, duct tape can be wrapped/carried on a fork tube.

leaking.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tchetek said:

I carry jb weld, at least in my trailer. I once punched a hole in the rad of my rzr deep in the bush. After the gong show to get it out of the bush the new rad was back ordered. so I used jb weld as a temporary fix so I could ride again the next weekend.

Repair worked great and the new rad is still in the box in the garage.

After that I decided I would carry jb quick. (The 5 minute version) so if i ever punctured a rad deep in the bush, I could do a repair in the backcountry. Have a couple beers while it drys, fill it back up, and ride it out. Or do a repair at camp and not have to cut the weekend short.

Now there is a man that rides prepared. A couple beers deep in the bush.

• Like 4

I put a stick through one of my radiator hoses once.  I got really lucky and it was close to one of the ends of the hose.  I had a pair of side cutters on me and just cut off the piece that tore open and stretched the hose back onto the barb.  Filled it up with water from my camelbak and made my way out of the woods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScootMcGoot said:

I put a stick through one of my radiator hoses once.  I got really lucky and it was close to one of the ends of the hose.  I had a pair of side cutters on me and just cut off the piece that tore open and stretched the hose back onto the barb.  Filled it up with water from my camelbak and made my way out of the woods.

IMO side cutters would be bit heavy so I carry a smallish swiss army knife and have used the knife and scissors a few times for repairs.

• Like 1

I have looked at the silicone tape and it looked like it would work during an emergency one thing I would do is not put the cap on tight afterwords so it does not raise to pressure 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2017 at 4:50 PM, filterx said:

IMO side cutters would be bit heavy so I carry a smallish swiss army knife and have used the knife and scissors a few times for repairs.

One of the tools in the tool bag on my back fender is a multi-tool.  Has a knife and other useful stuff. ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lumpy790 said:

I have looked at the silicone tape and it looked like it would work during an emergency one thing I would do is not put the cap on tight afterwords so it does not raise to pressure 

yea thats probably a good idea

• Like 1

In Red Dawn they pee'd in the radiator.

Wolverines!