ONLY 36 HOURS LEFT! Read more... ×

Looking for people to hit the trails with in IN, IL, MI, perhaps further

Hey guys! I'm new here, but I'm currently a bit limited on riding buddies, so I figured I would give the online community a shot.

So long story short, I've been putting in some O.T. this summer so I could save up for trips to several trail systems around the area, mostly in Michigan I would assume, seeing that the state is chock full of them and it's closest to me. But I'm fairly open to other suggestions as well. I'd say come late September/early October I'll be ready to do some riding on a semi-regular basis through some of winter provided there's no snow or ice on the ground. The kicker is, it's going to be like pulling teeth trying to get my current friends to go further than a couple hours away, and even that may not happen often. I'm definitely going to hit up Evart, Cedar creek, perhaps tin cup because they're closest to me. But as I said, I'm open to anything somewhat further away that caters to single track or even quad width riding. Don't care if it's fast, moderate, whatever type of riding, I'll attempt just about anything, although I'm an intermediate rider, and it would be cool to meet up with anyone else of the same mindset. Hill climbs are fun too!

Shoot me a message if you want to plan something. My days off are Sunday and Monday. My job is quite lenient, too. So I can probably bend the schedule to my will a bit if need be :). I ride a 2003 honda crf230f (trail bike only, not street legal..) and I like to capture most of my rides on the gopro. In case people care about age difference, I'm around 30, I understand that can matter with fitness levels and whatnot. Looking forward to your replies!

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Whats up bud! 

I am in the same boat as you.  There has been some chatter in the forum about riding MI and such.  Where are you located?  I ride with a couple of people at Rocky Glen & Fox Valley, those are closest to me.  

If you plan a ride post it up you never know if someone would like to ride!

-Ralph

• Like 1

Ralph,
I imagine the chatter is due to the fact that riding season is almost upon us! I'm located in Northwest Indiana. I've never been to those places, but I have been to the badlands more times than I care to count, as it's the closest riding area for me. I have 2 videos on YouTube of that place, my channel is '230 Sausage' if you want to check it out. I'm just bored of that place and I'm looking to hit some single track or something interesting. It would be nice to take a longer trip down to Red Bird Crest Trail in Kentucky, but that's a longer trip.

Anyways, I ended up getting a couple bites in this site, so I'm going to plan out a couple weekends and post them. Like I said, probably no riding until late September or early October, but I'll try to plan dates within a couple weeks. So thanks for the reply and keep an eye out for my message. I'll do the same for you and others here!

I live in mid Michigan and usually ride between 60 and 160 miles in a day depending on what type of trail we choose to ride. We are spoiled here because their are so many trails. We can go from one side of the state to the other and back clear up to Wisconsin and never hit the same trail twice. Not to mention all the bars, restaurants and gas stations so accessible along the way.

I live in mid Michigan and usually ride between 60 and 160 miles in a day depending on what type of trail we choose to ride. We are spoiled here because their are so many trails. We can go from one side of the state to the other and back clear up to Wisconsin and never hit the same trail twice. Not to mention all the bars, restaurants and gas stations so accessible along the way.

Yes, you guys are spoiled indeed! Since you live up there, I have a question. As I said, I'm from Northwest Indiana. But I've been doing some research as to which trail systems I'm going to check out, and while looking at places like Holton Loop or Horseshoe Lake, I've noticed that some portions of those trails have sections only relegated to bikes that are plated. My Crf 230 is not plated, and it has no light setup. Nor do I intend to go to such lengths. But I will be getting the ORV stickers. So exactly how limited is my riding going to be up there? Would I be able to ride the licensed trail sections as long as I stay on the dirt? Are the cops lenient about this sort of thing, even if riders are out of state? I'd love some feedback on this, any info that would help me to prevent hassles would be appreciated!

I live in Frankfort Indiana and travel into Michigan quite a bit. I would like to meet up and do some overnight (possible camping) trips around Indiana Michigan and Illinois. I ride a XR400R dual sport ready.

I live in Frankfort Indiana and travel into Michigan quite a bit. I would like to meet up and do some overnight (possible camping) trips around Indiana Michigan and Illinois. I ride a XR400R dual sport ready.

Yea you're a ways down there, it's quite a hike to hit any good Michigan riding. I've been talking to a couple people on the midwest forum here (there's another thread started by maximus83, I'm also conversing there so check it out if you can.), and it sounds like they may be down for some riding as well. I'm off Sundays and Monday's, and I'll mostly be taking day trips up there to the closer trails like Evart, Tin cup, Little O connect to Little Manistee, etc. Maybe one or two overnighters for the longer trips, but we'll see how that goes. I'll probably start going up there early October, so keep an eye out, because I'll be posting.

Ok, I've come up with a couple weekend dates to do some Michigan riding. I plan on going up there two Sundays in a row, October 1st and 8th. I'm really trying to get September 24th up and going, but that one is up in the air, so I'll keep everyone posted. As to which trails to run, I have a list of choices that I haven't quite decided upon. Cedar Creek, Holton Loop, Horseshoe Lake, Tin Cup, Evart, Little O and Little Manistee. I honestly don't even care which one I hit, as they're all of similar driving distance for me. It would be preferable for me to be there between 9-11 AM, ride for a few hours and head home in the same day. I'll need to pick up the ORV stickers on the way, hopefully there won't be a hassle. Other than that, I think I'm good to go here. If things go accordingly, I'll be free for October 22nd and 29th as well.

Have you guys been out to the silver lake sand dunes yet? That place is a ton of fun and not too much further, just south of Ludington. I head out there 4-5 times a year.

Ok, I've come up with a couple weekend dates to do some Michigan riding. I plan on going up there two Sundays in a row, October 1st and 8th. I'm really trying to get September 24th up and going, but that one is up in the air, so I'll keep everyone posted. As to which trails to run, I have a list of choices that I haven't quite decided upon. Cedar Creek, Holton Loop, Horseshoe Lake, Tin Cup, Evart, Little O and Little Manistee. I honestly don't even care which one I hit, as they're all of similar driving distance for me. It would be preferable for me to be there between 9-11 AM, ride for a few hours and head home in the same day. I'll need to pick up the ORV stickers on the way, hopefully there won't be a hassle. Other than that, I think I'm good to go here. If things go accordingly, I'll be free for October 22nd and 29th as well.

I might be able to do the October 8th day. But I would probably be up there Friday night and ride Saturday as well. Let me know your plans for that day!

Sent from my STV100-2 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I might be able to do the October 8th day. But I would probably be up there Friday night and ride Saturday as well. Let me know your plans for that day!

Sent from my STV100-2 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Cool, I'm down if you're down. Either way I'm definitely riding that Sunday, even if it's by myself. I could take Saturday off and do a 2 day thing, but for now we'll just test the waters for the one day if that's alright with you, see how things jive. It's a set date for me, so all you or anyone else has to do is just show up. I'm still not entirely sure which trail to do though, as there are many choices and honestly I just want to get back into the riding groove so I'm not very picky about it. Right off the bat I was thinking either Evart or Tin Cup, which I've been to the former and it's just an amazing single track loop. Again, I'm open to suggestions.

Have you guys been out to the silver lake sand dunes yet? That place is a ton of fun and not too much further, just south of Ludington. I head out there 4-5 times a year.

Yea I know it's a relatively shorter drive to Silver Lake. Problem is, I don't have a paddle tire. And without one, it would most likely be a nightmare, especially with the type of bike I have. Could be wrong though, after all I've never been there. I just know sand can be a bitch.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, 230 Sausage said:

Yea I know it's a relatively shorter drive to Silver Lake. Problem is, I don't have a paddle tire. And without one, it would most likely be a nightmare, especially with the type of bike I have. Could be wrong though, after all I've never been there. I just know sand can be a bitch.

I just bought my first bike a YZ450 in January and took it to the dunes. It takes some getting used to as the sand is a lot different than dirt but its easy to adapt. I have taken 4 trips without a paddle tire and I can get around everywhere without an issue. I just put a paddle on the bike last week so we will see how it does on my next trip. I think is definitely worth the trip to check it out if you have never been. Just make sure you have a spark arrester and flag. Both are available at the local shops at the dune entrance.

Yea I'm not gonna dismiss the place, I have heard good things about it, but I have taken my 230 in sand before, and it bogs through pretty sluggish. I'm hoping to upgrade eventually, but it's going to be something single track oriented. I may check it out one day.

This is a tad last minute, but I secured a trail day this Sunday, the 24th. I've never been to tin cup trail loop before, so I think I'm going to check that one out. Good chance I'll be on my own that day, so if anyone wants to come out and ride for a few hours, I'm all for it! I'll most likely be there in the later morning hours or something.

I went and checked out the Little O loop this past Sunday, and let me tell you, it was HOT AF! I also went out by myself, but I ended up hooking up with a few other riders later on and it was a blast. A little too much sand and whoops for my taste, but I'll go through just about anything these days, as long as I can ride. Can't wait to explore some other systems out there. I blew a fork seal on the 230 (I guess I rode a little too hard for the suspension to handle, I need an upgrade at some point!), so I'll be fixing that this weekend. I intend to go back up on October 8th if possible if anyone is interested. I also have some footage if anyone cares to check it out. Here's part 1 of it, I'm in the process of editing part 2 ATM, so hopefully that will be uploaded soon!

Here's part 2 of my trip to the Little O ORV trail.

I'm thinking about going back up this Sunday to check out other trails around the vicinity. Lincoln hills comes to mind, but perhaps someone would have other suggestions? I'm also welcoming to more riders, cuz it's only so much fun when you're alone!

sausage ..... i like the videos . " AWE SHIT "  lol . i too am running out of people to ride with and have always wanted to ride the mi. trails . from the videos we ride similar . lol . and i would say im a high beginner to intermediate rider . i prefer tight technical single track , slow speed , with lots of rocks , ruts , trees , logs . lmk when you go next . i know your sick of badlands , but ive never been there on a bike , always wanted to try it out . been there tons on quads . im old , fat, and slow .  

Thanks, man! I'm hitting up the Turkey Gobbler Family Enduro tomorrow in New Paris, IN. Sunday is probly gonna get rained out, so most likely won't ride then. Weekend after, I may be going up for a two day trip in Michigan at North Missaukee and Grand Traverse trails. After that, who knows.