Changed friction plates and have a lot more clutch cable freeplay

I purchased the Tusk clutch kit for 09 yz250. It came with friction plates and springs. Installed them, 8 frictions and 7 metals. I put everything back together and went to pull in the clutch lever, slop slop slop. The amount of freeplay drastically increased. The cable is pretty new. I had to adjust out all the slack with the coarse adjustment and ran that to it's max and then about halfway out for the on the fly adjustment. What could have caused this? Any fixes? I haven't ridden it yet but will later on today...

Cheers! 

I'm wondering if the fractional decrease in length of a new cable would make enough difference

I'm wondering if the fractional decrease in length of a new cable would make enough difference

No way. This cable is essentially new in the first place. I'm at a loss though as to why the free play changed so much from changing the friction plates. I'm talking like half an inch

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

Secondly, the clutch worked great today. Very linear on the slipping whereas before it was like an on off switch

A thicker clutch pack will cause more cable slack. As the clutch wears the slack will decrease. Your old clutch must have been very worn.

Sent from my SM-G935F using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 4

A thicker clutch pack will cause more cable slack. As the clutch wears the slack will decrease. Your old clutch must have been very worn.

Sent from my SM-G935F using ThumperTalk mobile app

Ah I didn't know that. I miced the old frictions.... they were 2.1 mm which is WAY below service range.