KDX 220 Buying help

I am buying my first 2 stroke :) and have decided on a kawasaki kdx 220, Mainly because a newer bike isnt in my budget (desperately wanted a ktm 200) but this bike works great for my riding style.

There are 2 in my area but I'm not sure what would be best for me to go for, thats where I need help.

NOTE:These are Canadian prices and theres no way I can get one of these bikes for dirt cheap like in the USA

Bike 1: 2001 Fully rebuilt with new top end, sprockets and chain. looks in really good shape and comes with full parts bike but needs a new back rim for 2700$ firm

Bike 2: 2004 All original, Full FMF Exhaust(dinged up quite a bit), Has street legal title Plastics are very rough and would likely need a rebuild shortly for 2700$ negotiable 

I honestly feel the 2001 is a better deal but I need an expert opinion :) since the last kawi I owned was a klx125 years ago.

Condition is about the only deciding factor between the two as they are essentially the same bike. Looking nice isn't the same as being in good condition. I would need to see them better and here them run before I could make a suggestion. The '01 looks ok but you know it needs a rim (can you fix it or will you have to have someone else do it?=$$$) and looks like it doesn't have much in the way of armor. The '04 looks like it has an aftermarket tank and barkbusters. Have you asked either owner about the maintenance of the bikes? Last bearing service? KIPS service? Top end? Bottom end? Etc,. etc.

• Like 1

2001 said it was rebuilt from the ground up including top end last season, new did gold chain and sprockets last July too.

2004 has never had any service at all by the current owner and doesn't know of any service previously done, but has new reeds and a newer pipe.

I'm sure I can fix the rim but I honestly don't know whats wrong with it yet or how badly damaged it is so thats tbd

id find out what he means by rebuilt from ground up, could be alot of different things.  04 you can pretty much guarantee needs the engine freshened up, and suspension overhaul which will adds up quick, could be another 1000 before it's trustworthy.

• Like 1