17' 300RR Overheating

I've had an issue with boiling the coolant since the bike was new.  Dealer fixed a leaking t-stat  early on. I thought it was only happening on hard climbs, but yesterday I caught it early.  I rode 9 miles

of curvy gravel road (30-45mph) not hard on the pipe, then got on some easy ST (2nd-3rd gear, not steep)  for 1/2 mile.  I stopped and noticed coolant (Engine Ice) coming out the vent hose.

Couldn't hear it boiling, but hot for sure.  It was about 70`f.

Is there a way to check t-stat function without removing it? Both sides get hot.  I know it can removed, but some mornings can be chilly.  

Oil injection still in use and jetted per Beta spec sheet.  55hrs, 750 miles

Impeller issue?

Bad rad cap?

I searched around and don't see too many Beta 2t's w/ overheating issues.

• Like 1

I had issues with my head orings from factory. It was causing excess pressure build up in my rads. May be something to look into. Not an uncommon problem. Let's see what others say

• Like 1

Have my 300 rr race up in the rockys in Colorado and have had it on some very long hard climbs in first and second gear and it's never overheated even up to 12k ft. Something must be wrong with yours. You have a 6mo warranty, I suggest you use it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, motocrotts said:

Have my 300 rr race up in the rockys in Colorado and have had it on some very long hard climbs in first and second gear and it's never overheated even up to 12k ft. Something must be wrong with yours. You have a 6mo warranty, I suggest you use it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

Ya, it runs out next month

You didn't hear it boiling? 

Hard to tell from what you say so far. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Do you have a fan? I put one on up front but I'm not going 35 plus mph as much...doing  more of slow going heat with no air and clutch work producing heat riding. I put a higher pressure cap and an overflow tank. Beta 2 t aren't known for overheating compared to most bikes. 

Cant tell from what you say yet if normal or not. 

To start just put an overflow tank. That's a simple mod that always is a good mod to have whether your bike boils regularly or not. 

See if it boils or not.

. put a high pressure cap... again a simple good mod  to have on any bike.

13 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You didn't hear it boiling? 

Hard to tell from what you say so far. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Do you have a fan? I put one on up front but I'm not going 35 plus mph as much...doing  more of slow going heat with no air and clutch work producing heat riding. I put a higher pressure cap and an overflow tank. Beta 2 t aren't known for overheating compared to most bikes. 

Cant tell from what you say yet if normal or not. 

To start just put an overflow tank. That's a simple mod that always is a good mod to have whether your bike boils regularly or not. 

See if it boils or not.

. put a high pressure cap... again a simple good mod  to have on any bike.

It definitely has boiled in the past on hard climbs. I don't always hear it boil but there will be missing coolant. No coolant in tranny  oil.

T-stat, " I know it can removed, but some mornings can be chilly. "

Edited by bluespark

13 minutes ago, bluespark said:

It definitely has boiled in the past on hard climbs. I don't always hear it boil but there will be missing coolant. No coolant in tranny  oil.

I'm not sure but I don't think they run tstat on world enduro champion rounds in Sweden in snow with  Beta. Not sure but don't think that's that big a deal. Start with an overflow tank and maybe high pressure rad cap.  Idk might be nothing .. can't really tell. Sometimes on any bike if I'm on the gas my fan goes on . Might be nothing .. might be something????

9 hours ago, bluespark said:

If you ride 40*F or below often T-stats are a welcome item to help warm up and keep temps consistent. Otherwise toss as this is always an issue,,, with any brand.

• Like 1

as an extreme measure you can run the evans waterless coolant. I had an 05' EXC that would boil over no matter what I did (t-stat removed, high pressure cap, cooling fan mod). I finally resorted to the evans product and never had a further issue.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I am sure the boiling issue was due to my poor riding skills in the gnarly rocky hill climbs I was doing, but even with my poor "technique" the evans product never once boiled over.

-t

Edited by lodcomm
add reflection

Missing coolant is not necessarily boiling or overheating for that matter.  I dumped the tstat but had no thermal issues with it either.  As a test you can pull it from the housing and clamp the bypass closed temporarily.  Also try a cap and inspect radiator neck, I had a GG with a radiator neck imperfection that would allow slow release of coolant at low pressure.  Had to pressurize system to find that one. 

• Like 1

Make sure you're not over filling the radiators.  Coolant should be just above the fins, no more than 1/4 inch, or it will just spit out the extra down to that level. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 3:07 PM, bluespark said:

I've had an issue with boiling the coolant since the bike was new.  Dealer fixed a leaking t-stat  early on. I thought it was only happening on hard climbs, but yesterday I caught it early.  I rode 9 miles

of curvy gravel road (30-45mph) not hard on the pipe, then got on some easy ST (2nd-3rd gear, not steep)  for 1/2 mile.  I stopped and noticed coolant (Engine Ice) coming out the vent hose.

Couldn't hear it boiling, but hot for sure.  It was about 70`f.

Is there a way to check t-stat function without removing it? Both sides get hot.  I know it can removed, but some mornings can be chilly.  

Oil injection still in use and jetted per Beta spec sheet.  55hrs, 750 miles

Impeller issue?

Bad rad cap?

I searched around and don't see too many Beta 2t's w/ overheating issues.

You know the first thing I did when I got my bike was put a fan kit on it. I did that for my 525 and my 300.. my 350 already came with one ... I'd do that. ..and the overflow tank and the higher pressure radiator cap.; I've done that on all my bikes if it didn't already have it.

Your head o-rings are probably bad and leaking high cylinder pressure gasses past and into your cooling system. This pressurizes it and can pressurize it enough to push the radiator cap up and leak coolant past, just like it would if it was over heating.

I and others had this issue with head orings, its a 30 minute swap out to new orings. Mine did this from the factory. 

I'd say 95% of people improperly diagnose this issue with a leaky t-stat. The t-stat leaks because theres a significant pressure build up in the loop, the t-stat is the weakest seal in the loop and will leak (slowly) coolant if high pressure is allowed to sit in the system. The true sign of this is if you dont notice or see any leaking going on right after a ride, but then when you go back out to your garage the next day you've got a small puddle under the bike from the t-stat seeping coolant out of it because of the pressure sitting in the system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr4vitas said:

Your head o-rings are probably bad and leaking high cylinder pressure gasses past and into your cooling system. This pressurizes it and can pressurize it enough to push the radiator cap up and leak coolant past, just like it would if it was over heating.

I and others had this issue with head orings, its a 30 minute swap out to new orings. Mine did this from the factory. 

I'd say 95% of people improperly diagnose this issue with a leaky t-stat. The t-stat leaks because theres a significant pressure build up in the loop, the t-stat is the weakest seal in the loop and will leak (slowly) coolant if high pressure is allowed to sit in the system. The true sign of this is if you dont notice or see any leaking going on right after a ride, but then when you go back out to your garage the next day you've got a small puddle under the bike from the t-stat seeping coolant out of it because of the pressure sitting in the system.

Good to know!!!