how to remove trailer hitch ball

I want to change the position of the ball in my receiver's tongue. I bought a big honking 1-1/2" impact socket. It was 3/4 drive, and so I needed an adaptor for my 1/2 drive air impact wrench.

At 110 lbs air, I can't get the nut to budge. How do you get the silly ball to unbolt?

I want to change the position of the ball in my receiver's tongue. I bought a big honking 1-1/2" impact socket. It was 3/4 drive, and so I needed an adaptor for my 1/2 drive air impact wrench.
At 110 lbs air, I can't get the nut to budge. How do you get the silly ball to unbolt?

Uh what? Are you wanting more/less drop? Monkey wrenches are the best way to install/remove balls but you're better off buying a new hitch and ball or adjustable hitch so you have versatility in the future

I want the ball to be lower. Whoever put the ball on (years ago) have it step up and then the ball on the top of the step. I want to remove the ball, roll the ball mount upside down, which will lower the mounting point, and put the ball back.

So far, I have already spent more on tools than it would take to just buy another ball mount and ball. So your idea is good. I need a fairly big monkey wrench, which I don't own, and probably some 4 foot pipes to extend the breaker bar and monkey wrench.

Those things are put on super tight at factory......might be a torque to yield application.

In which case, they are not meant to be taken off and reused.

You are leaving the hitch in your vehicles receiver. Just flipped so nut is on top right ?. Then you should be able to use a breaker bar with a piece of pipe as extra length. You can lube it in this position too. If you can't loosen it with the impact and breaker bar, try heat.
Oh and the obvious, are going in the right direction to remove?
The good news is you can get your hitch out of the receiver. That's usually where they seize.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

I want the ball to be lower. Whoever put the ball on (years ago) have it step up and then the ball on the top of the step. I want to remove the ball, roll the ball mount upside down, which will lower the mounting point, and put the ball back.
So far, I have already spent more on tools than it would take to just buy another ball mount and ball. So your idea is good. I need a fairly big monkey wrench, which I don't own, and probably some 4 foot pipes to extend the breaker bar and monkey wrench.
It's basically like any other tough bolt/nut. LEVERAGE! I think I bought my spare for 40ish from tractor supply company and it's a 2.5" receiver 5" drop

I have an electric 1/2 drive impact it's going on 30 years old! It has busted nuts that an air impact couldn't. My friend was replacing springs on his dump trailer. No room for extensions, his air impact wouldn't bust them loose. Loaned him my electric, got them loose. Since then he bought a really nice air impact. Which breaks loose everything. The electric is now second best, but it's old too.

I do not like using pipe wrenches on bolts and nuts. Pipe "flexes" as the pipe wrench grips. So it seems to my way of thinking. A pipe wrench on a nut or bolt is working against you. Pinching or binding. I use a proper socket for my hitch balls.

Probably no more than $30-$40 at Walmart for a new complete setup. The simple solution is always the best. Probably the safest also.

I use my hands...attached to my arms...that are attached to a hitch ball closed end wrench I got cheap from Harbor Freight.

Prior to that...I used a massive pipe wrench. Never had one come loose.

• Like 2

Use a big-ass trailer ball wrench. 

I've moved/swapped mine around many times across a few trucks.  They're on tight, but not *that* tight.

Get a wrench and pull on it like a man.

Use a big-ass trailer ball wrench. 
I've moved/swapped mine around many times across a few trucks.  They're on tight, but not *that* tight.

Get a wrench and pull on it like a man.

What if OP is a woman?

• Like 1

Then she needs to quit acting like something she is not and get back in the kitchen. Yeah, that's it!

Ok then. So I can call you when I need to do this ?