What reeds are best for 2002 200 exc

I am wondering if anybody knows which reeds would be best for my 2002 KTM 200 exc. I want to try the stock reeds since I have a had a v force cage in my bike from a sx 125.( bike has had many problems running smooth and i see that they are slightly warped) I got a stock reed block and noticed the reeds were warped a little bit as well. I see boysen fiberglass dual stage reeds are only $25 on ebay, should I get those, the stock reeds for $60, or the boysen single stage carbon fiber reeds for $40? I want to go with the cheapest reeds, but I dont want to be stuck in some sort of jetting troubles or unreliability.

I have a 2000 125 EXC that I have experimented with a lot, and a 250, 300 and 380 from he same early 2000s era. Reeds are like pipes only less so, fine tuning the power this way or that. If $$$ are important, use the cheapest NAME BRAND reed. It takes an affectionado to feel the difference. 

Keep in mind that in many cases the reed box is different as well. My KTM reeds will not fit in my Boyeson reed box. Also with the stock KTM reeds you can play with the center insert to affect the powerband. 

582668_10151168914110803_553943900_n.jpg

Edited by sbest

I have a 2000 125 EXC that I have experimented with a lot, and a 250, 300 and 380 from he same early 2000s era. Reeds are like pipes only less so, fine tuning the power this way or that. If $$$ are important, use the cheapest NAME BRAND reed. It takes an affectionado to feel the difference. 
Keep in mind that in many cases the reed box is different as well. My KTM reeds will not fit in my Boyeson reed box. Also with the stock KTM reeds you can play with the center insert to affect the powerband. 
582668_10151168914110803_553943900_n.jpg?oh=9cd49ea9b884944d381eb684bd009439%26oe=5A22FFA2

I have the stock Reed box and the v force Reed box. I want to use the stock Reed box this time. Will the dual stage be better than single stage for woods? Will the carbon fiber last longer than fiber glass? Will the dual stage be harder to jet for?

Stock KTM reeds will last a decade if no dirt or water gets in past the filter. The KTM 250 reed with the hole eroded in the above picture was eroded by water from deep (muddy) water crossings. Lighter thinner reeds favour low rpm but often sign off at top end, thicker harder reeds favour top end. The shape of the reed box is important, with stock KTM having changeable inserts, the Boyeson with 4 chambers, etc. The smaller the volume the more low and mid-range torque (generally) often without giving up top power. This mod usually makes jetting easier as opposed to opening up the reedbox which makes jetting less precise. 

I've done the same thing with aluminum and JB weld. 

26777-3b6fd359f13b8dcb0c215294809d85cd.j

This is a Yamaha Blaster with the reedbox stuffed for less volume. 

• Like 1