Clutch Slave Cylinder Guard, please help me choose one.

I am going to get a clutch slave cylinder guard but don't know much about my/our options.  I see that Beta has two of them, one is just over $40 and looks like it just covers the cylinder and I loose the sprocket guard-which I happen to like the plastic cage-thing.  Then there is a $150 one that looks like it extends out and allows the use of the sprocket guard.  

Are there others that are better?, the same for less money?  

Don't use one. If you use a slave guard the chain will crack the case if it comes off. Slaves aren't very expensive and the chain will go into it instead of breaking the case around the mounting points for a slave guard. I had the chain take the slave out on a rr300 and it bent the bolts that hold on the chain guard but it's plastic so it didn't crack the case

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarmanCRF said:

Don't use one. If you use a slave guard the chain will crack the case if it comes off. Slaves aren't very expensive and the chain will go into it instead of breaking the case around the mounting points for a slave guard. I had the chain take the slave out on a rr300 and it bent the bolts that hold on the chain guard but it's plastic so it didn't crack the case

Makes no sense to me, either way your are using the same bolts holes... If it hit hard enough on your guard to crack it certainly would have done the same without.

I use EE.  Protecting against a random rock like the one that busted my buddies slave cylinder on an Italian made Husky.

I always found the plastic cage collects rocks.

14 minutes ago, Mckay said:

Makes no sense to me, either way your are using the same bolts holes... If it hit hard enough on your guard to crack it certainly would have done the same without.

With out a guard it will go past the bolt holes and stop by the slave. With a guard it will go against the guard and break the mounting points out of the case

IMG_2488.JPG

• Like 2

I have some protection on the bike such as skid plate and pipe guard. I can't see the need for a clutch slave guard though. I've never seen one broken by a fall, and I ride plenty of rocky stuff.

I'm now wondering if I need to start a "Should or should I not, get a clutch slave cylinder guard?"  

My fear is definitely not rocks or anything where a crash of some sort damages the cylinder, rather, that the chain breaks and possibly takes it out, but then again, I think in all my bikes, street and dirt, I can't recall ever losing a chain.  Hmmmmmmm.  

Are any of you running a guard for it?  

I don't run a guard, never have probably never will.  My buddy here tossed a chain a few weeks ago, looks worse than it is honestly.  A rock in a rut knocked it off the rear sprocket.  We pulled the master link and stuffed the rest of the chain on top so we could tow it out.  Damn chain was so wedged in we had to pull the swingarm to get it out and didn't have the tools on the trail. 

0621171938_zpsnycfilah.jpg

• Like 1

I tossed the chain on the 300 in my last post when climbing a huge crushed gravel hill. Pinned WOT in 2nd gear and it just stopped dead. It actually didn't ruin the slave but it gouged it up pretty bad and bent some bolts. 

Check your master link and chain overall condition more frequently and this will probably not happen.

I lead guys on guided rides into some real tiger country. 30km to the nearest assistance sort of places. They get read the riot act prior to attending the event re condition of their bike etc,  and the pieces of  shite they turn up on has to be seen to be believed:(

So yeah, probably replace the master link when its part way through its life instead of at the end:)

As I can't ever remember losing a master link, but always carrying one for just in case, I simply won't run a guard at all as it seems that most believe that the guard is not worth having.  

Only chain failure I saw was my buddies brand new bike.  Dealer set the slack too tight and the master link popped off.  Good thing one of us had a spare that fit.  Anyway, we gave him a hard time for not properly adjusting his bike.

I haven't done it, but it would be interesting to see the bike setup on the top dozen riders of extreme enduro events. A failure like that would end any chance of finishing a race with a decent time, so if its at all possible to avoid a chain coming off, especially given the grnarly-ness of the terrian used in those events, I am sure those guys have thought of it, and have it sussed:)