Is a 2005 crf450r a good bike?

5 hours ago, DrEthan22 said:

I am thinking if buy a 05 crf450. Anybody know if its a good bike?

What type of riding will you be doing

36 minutes ago, DrEthan22 said:

Just about everything lol

That's what I use mine for. I like it a lot. I run lower gearing (12-48, same as using a 52 rear with stock front) because I ride mostly woods and that became annoying on the mx track because I was shifting too much. So you may want two sets of sprockets if u ride tight stuff and wide open tracks

• Like 1

The 2005 is a great bike
I had 3 of them not that long ago and they all work well for me
As long as you keep a good maintaining on your bike it would run forever

• Like 1

Going to thread jack of sorts,

Anything to be gained from buying a 2008 roller and transferring my 05 engine (lots of pro circuit parts) and 05 suspension (diamond kit that I love on the 05 frame).

So basically frame, swingarm differences between 05 and 08?

Thank you and sorry.

13 yrs old ,if its been in the the back bedroom like my buddies 07 still in the crate buy it. Tuff to find a 13 year old bike thats not hammered , stuff wears out like the fork and shock tubes,shock body,frame etc..

I have a pretty extreme opinion on this but since you asked, 2002-2004 CRF450 was for people that hated themselves so much physical pain by itself wasn't harsh enough.  2005 was the first year they were worth refilling an empty gas tank.  They got progressively better up to 2008 but they still weren't my Cup 'O Tea.  I never rode one I liked until 2013.  Why my dislike?  Because while the motor is great the penalty on cornering, weight, and because of that weight suspension is too large.  I chose and still would choose a 2-stroke 250 over them myself because the 2-stroke is easier to maintain, is lighter, corners better, and IMO easier to get the suspension to work.  The more weight the more you're trying to control.  My 2013 is a heavy pig, and it took lots of $$$ to get the motor and suspension working but it finally corners well and I really only notice the weight lifting it on the stand or loading it up in the truck.  Fine fine I'll admit it.  I notice the weight when picking it and myself up off the ground too.

Given how unique my views are on this, it tells you that in weighing in on the compromises I favor cornering and ease of maintenance over motor.  Pick your poison

Yes, they are a great bike.  Need to make sure it was well maintained of course and be prepared to do some work of your own but overall a great bike and a lot of fun.